IGNORED

Ah yes ... we will now be safer out there (just a little sarcasm)

SilvrT

The following is a BC Provincial Govn't new announcement. Moderators feel free to delete if you deem necessary.

VICTORIA – To mark the beginning of Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, the Province is announcing new safety regulations aimed at improving road safety and reducing motorcycle deaths, injuries and crashes.

Effective June 1, all motorcycle riders and their passengers must wear helmets that meet safety industry standards. This means motorcycle riders will no longer be able to wear novelty helmets, typically known as skid lids, skull caps or beanies, which do not meet the new requirements.

In addition, the new regulations:

· Will require passengers, including children, to place their feet on foot pegs or floorboards. Drivers can easily be thrown off balance and risk crashing if their passengers do not keep their feet fixed on foot rests. Children who are unable to reach foot rests will no longer be allowed to ride as passengers.

· Will improve visibility and enforcement for police. The font size on motorcycle licence plates has increased by 0.95 centimetres (3/8 of an inch). Since May 2011, all new motorcycle licence plates have been issued with the larger font.

In making the announcement, Minister of Justice and Attorney General Shirley Bond said the provincial government intends to move forward with a graduated licensing program that includes power restrictions, following additional consultation to determine the best model. Feedback will be considered along with research and best practices to develop a model that improves rider safety and reduces motorcycle crashes especially for new riders.

The Office of Motor Vehicles and ICBC will also partner on an awareness campaign to ensure automobile drivers are aware of how to drive safely when they encounter motorcycles on the road.

The goal is to reduce fatalities and injuries from crashes involving motorcycles. While motorcycles are estimated to make up about three per cent of insured vehicles in B.C., they account for approximately 10 per cent of road fatalities. In the last five years, 203 motorcyclists have lost their lives on B.C.’s roads and 5,172 have been injured. Motorcycle fatalities increased by about 57 per cent between 1996 and 2010.

The new rider safety regulations are the result of extensive consultations between the Office of the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles, BC Coroners Service, ICBC, police and other road safety partners to develop a comprehensive approach to improve motorcycle safety within the motorcycling community and industry.

The month of May will allow for a transition period that will give government time to move to the new laws by informing riders and the public about the upcoming changes. Starting June 1, police will begin enforcing the new laws and issuing educational materials to riders found violating the helmet and seating regulations.

Fines for all new helmet-related offences are $138, and fines for seating requirements range from $109 to $121. In addition to fines, riders violating seating requirements will have their motorcycles impounded.

Thank you big government for protecting me from myself. Heck, I didn't even know that I wanted to cause harm to myself and others by riding a MC.

Please go help those poor unfortunates that want to do harm to themselves by injecting poison into their veins.

Thank you big government for protecting me from myself. Heck, I didn't even know that I wanted to cause harm to myself and others by riding a MC.

Please go help those poor unfortunates that want to do harm to themselves by injecting poison into their veins.

:rotfl: :rotf: :rotfl: :rotf: :You_Rock_Emoticon: :sign funny post:

My comments are embedded below:

Effective June 1, all motorcycle riders and their passengers must wear helmets that meet safety industry standards. This means motorcycle riders will no longer be able to wear novelty helmets, typically known as skid lids, skull caps or beanies, which do not meet the new requirements.

Makes perfect sense to me. If you are going to have laws requiring that safety helmets be worn, it makes sense to back u7p the law by ensuring the helmets being worn are safe.

What makes no sense to me is that such a law is needed to protect people from themselves!

· Will require passengers, including children, to place their feet on foot pegs or floorboards. Drivers can easily be thrown off balance and risk crashing if their passengers do not keep their feet fixed on foot rests. Children who are unable to reach foot rests will no longer be allowed to ride as passengers.

Again... maes sense as a law, as there are idiots who will put short people into a dangerous place if they cannot have both feet secured.

· Will improve visibility and enforcement for police. The font size on motorcycle licence plates has increased by 0.95 centimetres (3/8 of an inch). Since May 2011, all new motorcycle licence plates have been issued with the larger font.

OK... so the government is scknowledging that our police officers are short-sighted. :whistling:

In making the announcement, Minister of Justice and Attorney General Shirley Bond said the provincial government intends to move forward with a graduated licensing program that includes power restrictions, following additional consultation to determine the best model. Feedback will be considered along with research and best practices to develop a model that improves rider safety and reduces motorcycle crashes especially for new riders.

It is crazy that a brand new rider on a provisional licese can go into a showroom and emerge on a brand new, track ready sport bike capable of 300 kph!

The Office of Motor Vehicles and ICBC will also partner on an awareness campaign to ensure automobile drivers are aware of how to drive safely when they encounter motorcycles on the road.

I cannot think of a better way to remind cagers that riders share the road with them. Doing this every year seems much more effective than focusing on training that occurs once, early in a driver's life.

The goal is to reduce fatalities and injuries from crashes involving motorcycles. While motorcycles are estimated to make up about three per cent of insured vehicles in B.C., they account for approximately 10 per cent of road fatalities. In the last five years, 203 motorcyclists have lost their lives on B.C.’s roads and 5,172 have been injured. Motorcycle fatalities increased by about 57 per cent between 1996 and 2010.

Seems to be a very laudable goal.

The new rider safety regulations are the result of extensive consultations between the Office of the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles, BC Coroners Service, ICBC, police and other road safety partners to develop a comprehensive approach to improve motorcycle safety within the motorcycling community and industry.

The right people are being asked to provide input. The Britich Columbia Coalition of Motorcyclists - BCCOM is also providing input.

The month of May will allow for a transition period that will give government time to move to the new laws by informing riders and the public about the upcoming changes. Starting June 1, police will begin enforcing the new laws and issuing educational materials to riders found violating the helmet and seating regulations.

Fines for all new helmet-related offences are $138, and fines for seating requirements range from $109 to $121. In addition to fines, riders violating seating requirements will have their motorcycles impounded.

Seems to me that the Government is doing its best to look after the interests of motorcyclists.

My $2.22 worth (inflation... and my opinion carries a premium value because it's mine!)

It is crazy that a brand new rider on a provisional licese can go into a showroom and emerge on a brand new, track ready sport bike capable of 300 kph!

This I totally agree with!

I cannot think of a better way to remind cagers that riders share the road with them. Doing this every year seems much more effective than focusing on training that occurs once, early in a driver's life.

Rather than focusing on awareness campaigns every year, and training and licencing that occurs only once .... make everyone re-train every 5 years when they renew their licence. How else can peoples bad habits be curtailed/adjusted? No awareness campaign can do that because people are simply not going to do it themselves.

Another thing that comes to mind regarding the re-training/licencing every 5 years is that things change over time and new things come into being. If a person isn't re-trained, how are they expected to be aware or to adjust accordingly ... unless they "happen to" hear/read some awareness campaign or other public driver education awareness campaign ... and then act upon it.

In so many other things we do in life, re-training is involved. Why not driver's licencing? Makes no sense to me.

Oh really?

The only part that is comprehensive is the number of agencies and people involved in coming to the conclusion that the font size should be bigger on the M/C licence plates!

My 2 cents . . .

Makes perfect sense to me. If you are going to have laws requiring that safety helmets be worn, it makes sense to back u7p the law by ensuring the helmets being worn are safe. It makes perfect sense; any helmet is better than no helmet. But, we,the government, believe you, the public, must spend large amounts of your hard-earned money to purchase rated helmets that offer marginal improvement over novelty helmets.

What makes no sense to me is that such a law is needed to protect people from themselves! And yet you agree . . .

Again... maes sense as a law, as there are idiots who will put short people into a dangerous place if they cannot have both feet secured. I thought you said it makes no sense that a law was needed to protect people from themselves?

OK... so the government is scknowledging that our police officers are short-sighted. :whistling:

Good one, I got nothing better . . .

It is crazy that a brand new rider on a provisional licese can go into a showroom and emerge on a brand new, track ready sport bike capable of 300 kph! I thought you said it makes no sense that a law was needed to protect people from themselves?

I cannot think of a better way to remind cagers that riders share the road with them. Doing this every year seems much more effective than focusing on training that occurs once, early in a driver's life. I thought you said it makes no sense that a law was needed to protect people from themselves?

Seems to be a very laudable goal. I thought you said it makes no sense that a law was needed to protect people from themselves?

The right people are being asked to provide input. The Britich Columbia Coalition of Motorcyclists - BCCOM is also providing input. . . To make a law that is needed to protect people from themselves?

Seems to me that the Government is doing its best to look after the interests of motorcyclists. . . And passing lots of laws to protect people from themselves!

Yes, GaryZ, sadly, people do need to be protected from themselves.

Now, if attitudes were to change, and we could guarantee that idiots would only harm themselves and not others, we could abandon all these laws and strengthen the gene pool by allowing individual idiots the right to kill themselves.

I think one of the things that needs to be defined is the letters ICBC. In BC we are insured by the government.... Insurance Corp of BC. when we buy our plate for a vehicle we buy it from the government and it includes at least a minimal insurance policy. The government is protecting itself and tax payers as we as tax payers not only cover you and your bike we also provide the health care plan that will care for you for the rest of your life be that in a wheel chair or in a vegitive state in a hospital that we the tax payer also paid to build and operate.

$2.22 does barely cover it these days.

In British Columbia, is the driver insured or the vehicle? What I mean is, if you own three motorcycles, do you insure yourself, so you can walk into your garage and jump on any bike? Or do you purchase insurance for the bike, so you'd need three insurance policies, one for each bike?

There's talk of government run insurance in Ontario, similar to B.C., to fight the gross inequity in rates. My 21 yr old son would have to pay $3600 a year for a 125cc motorcycle worth $1200.

If this law was on the books back in 72 around here, I would have never been able to buy my 72 Kawasaki 750. Consequently never having the memories of riding wheelies and generally raising hell back in the day. Thank heaven for small miracles. The worlds full of self-imposing people who write laws for the greater good. BS.:225::D

Makes perfect sense to me. If you are going to have laws requiring that safety helmets be worn, it makes sense to back u7p the law by ensuring the helmets being worn are safe.

What makes no sense to me is that such a law is needed to protect people from themselves!

Again... maes sense as a law, as there are idiots who will put short people into a dangerous place if they cannot have both feet secured.

Seems to be a very laudable goal.

The right people are being asked to provide input. The Britich Columbia Coalition of Motorcyclists - BCCOM is also providing input.

Seems to me that the Government is doing its best to look after the interests of motorcyclists.

My $2.22 worth (inflation... and my opinion carries a premium value because it's mine!)

I agree with Chris.

Sensible, thoughtful regulation benefits everyone and yeah, there are those who need protecting from themselves.

Government responsibility is protecting it's citizens. There is no caveat that exempts those who don't want to be protected.

By the way .... Pretty much all of that has been the law in the UK since before I started to ride .... Motorcycling is alive and well ... fancy!

Just like can be 16 get a drivers license drive a 5,000 lbs vehicle at over a 100 mph, but have to wait until there 21 to buy a case a beer get drunk and fall down.

Brad

In British Columbia, is the driver insured or the vehicle? What I mean is, if you own three motorcycles, do you insure yourself, so you can walk into your garage and jump on any bike? Or do you purchase insurance for the bike, so you'd need three insurance policies, one for each bike?

There's talk of government run insurance in Ontario, similar to B.C., to fight the gross inequity in rates. My 21 yr old son would have to pay $3600 a year for a 125cc motorcycle worth $1200.

When you insure with govn't insurance (ICBC), you have to insure each vehicle. We have the option to choose basic liability coverage with them and get the rest from a private insurer or get it all from ICBC.

I get the extra for the bike through private insuarnce as it is cheaper but for my truck, strangely enuf, ICBC is the less expensive.

The government is protecting itself and tax payers as we as tax payers not only cover you and your bike we also provide the health care plan that will care for you for the rest of your life be that in a wheel chair or in a vegitive state in a hospital that we the tax payer also paid to build and operate.

$2.22 does barely cover it these days.

If what you say is correct would the tax payers not be better served if ICBC dropped the antiquated and unrealistic method of setting rates for motorcycles by their cubic capacity. The 1300 Venture has about 94 hp while a modern comparable displacement crotch rocket has about 180 hp. My 1100 Virago has about 62 hp while the average 650 crotch rocket has about 80+ hp. My Virago costs more to insure than any 650cc bike. It appears to me more horsepower with a bigger spread of power to weight ratio equates to more possible danger for the rider and anybody around him. Bikes that can travel 300 kph should cost more to insure than bikes that can only do 150 kph.

People in government are not competent enough to come up with anything approaching "common" sense.

If what you say is correct would the tax payers not be better served if ICBC dropped the antiquated and unrealistic method of setting rates for motorcycles by their cubic capacity. The 1300 Venture has about 94 hp while a modern comparable displacement crotch rocket has about 180 hp. My 1100 Virago has about 62 hp while the average 650 crotch rocket has about 80+ hp. My Virago costs more to insure than any 650cc bike. It appears to me more horsepower with a bigger spread of power to weight ratio equates to more possible danger for the rider and anybody around him. Bikes that can travel 300 kph should cost more to insure than bikes that can only do 150 kph.

People in government are not competent enough to come up with anything approaching "common" sense.

yup, they're really missing the boat on this one! Just goes to show that all these different organizations that provide input to these things either have no clue of the "real world" or, the powers simply disregard the sensible recommendations and pick the ones that work best for "them".

I am glad to see them finally doing something sensible. Not long ago the government announced a police crackdown on motorcyclists to curb motorcycle deaths. That is kind of like ordering the police to mug tourists so the crooks can't mug them. I wrote a letter that got published in the Victoria Times Colonist pointing out that 70% of bike accidents are caused by car drivers ( The Hurt Report ) and that most police reports blaming the motorcyclist were wrong. The cause of the majority of motorcycle accidents was inattention on the part of the car driver. I also recommended graduated licencing such as they have in Europe. I also said that the rise in deaths was due to the rise in SUV's and minivans on the road (from another study). I never mentioned helmets as they already have to be government approved. We can make a difference when we speak up.

I am glad to see them finally doing something sensible. Not long ago the government announced a police crackdown on motorcyclists to curb motorcycle deaths. That is kind of like ordering the police to mug tourists so the crooks can't mug them. I wrote a letter that got published in the Victoria Times Colonist pointing out that 70% of bike accidents are caused by car drivers ( The Hurt Report ) and that most police reports blaming the motorcyclist were wrong. The cause of the majority of motorcycle accidents was inattention on the part of the car driver. I also recommended graduated licencing such as they have in Europe. I also said that the rise in deaths was due to the rise in SUV's and minivans on the road (from another study). I never mentioned helmets as they already have to be government approved. We can make a difference when we speak up.

I remember that Kerry and that one thing (graduated licence) is good but like Clive says, they're using the wrong guidline for determining it (cc vs hp) ... at least I figgure that's what they'll use as it has been that guidline they've been using for eons for determining insurance rates (which is totally ancient).

There is so much more that can and should be done ... why don't they do it escapes me. Interesting also is, that as a motorcycle owner/rider for many, many years, NOBODY in authority who makes up these rules and regs has ever asked me for my opinion. Maybe it's time I wrote Ms Bond (Min of JAG) ... maybe it's time all of us did?

EDIT: I re-read the news release and there is a phrase in there referencing "power restrictions" for the graduated licencing ... I'm very interested in seeing the details of that!.

It is on the front page of the Times Colonist today. They say they are going to study other places which have graduated licencing. That should take a couple years and several trips to Europe for several politicans. I see they are blaming helmets for deaths. I also see they consulted with the mothers of two kids who got killed. Just what on earth would they know about motorcycles. I did not see one mention of any motorcycle group they consulted.

Fired off a letter saying good for graduated licencing, new helmet regulations useless as all helmets must already meet government regulations and the increase in deaths is due to the increase in SUV's and minivans.

It is on the front page of the Times Colonist today. They say they are going to study other places which have graduated licencing. That should take a couple years and several trips to Europe for several politicans. I see they are blaming helmets for deaths. I also see they consulted with the mothers of two kids who got killed. Just what on earth would they know about motorcycles. I did not see one mention of any motorcycle group they consulted.

Fired off a letter saying good for graduated licencing, new helmet regulations useless as all helmets must already meet government regulations and the increase in deaths is due to the increase in SUV's and minivans.

Following was posted on another board by a Victoria rider ... I'm assuming he's stating factual info but I can't vouch for it...

these changes are "credited" to two mothers who lost their sons to "high speed" accidents.......one rider had just received his learners licence. Bought a GSX1000 the next day. Two restrictions on his learners licence: must be under direct supervision of a person with a mc licence, not to ride on a highway over 60 kmh. When he was unable to make a curve on the Malahat at approx. 150 kmh then hit a rock wall. He was breaking two rules, now his mother wants the government to add new regulations........

I believe that info is correct. One rider was brand new and they were both on crotch rockets. Helmets would make no difference at those speeds. It is just some polititions grab for emotional headlines.:headache:

I believe that info is correct. One rider was brand new and they were both on crotch rockets. Helmets would make no difference at those speeds. It is just some polititions grab for emotional headlines.:headache:

There is no real basis for claiming that helmets wouldn't help.

They certainly wouldn't do any harm.

The discussion is about whether or not we should be compelled to wear them .... That they reduce injuries is stipulated to.

Edited by twigg

There is no real basis for claiming that helmets wouldn't help.

They certainly wouldn't do any harm.

The discussion is about whether or not we should be compelled to wear them .... That they reduce injuries is stipulated to.

I don't recall reading anywhere whether or not those kids were wearing DOT helmets or not or if they were, specifically what style? The majority of sport bike riders seem to favor a full-face. I do not know of any full-face helmets that are not DOT.