IGNORED

RSTD not running

To start i have changed the oil and filter on my 99 RSTD put everything back together (was a partial basket case) replaced slave cylinder soaked clutch disc carbs were rebuilt by previous owner(friend) in which i did hear the motor run (which is 1 reason my wife bought it and it looks good) 7 months ago gas tank was off (ran on mason jar with gas) i dont know if fuel filter was changed and dont know where its located but i am getting gas to 2 carbs cause its leaking out of the overflow hose she turns over clutch pulled, in gear, stand up and in nutral but will not run any ideas i taped the bowls of the carbs on left side fuel still pours out od/check, eng light comes on when key is turned on then goes out when i hit starter both oil and temp light comes on and flickers while cranking i get spark to plug the one plug i did check. bike has 21452 mi on it so i know it did a lot of sitting and rotting away my friend started working on it in aug. 2011 as a aniversary gift from my wife in oct 2011 i just got it 3 weeks ago any help would be apriciative :confused24: :sick:

Paul, do you here the fuel pump working when you turn on your key? If not it could be the fuel pump or the fuel pump fuse. I think the filter on those bikes is behind the battery box and left cover. I think you have to take the battery out and take off the left cover to get to it. If your getting fire and fuel this thing should be running man.

yes the fuel pump works it runs for about 5 seconds then i start to crank it and it kicks on dumping fuel out of the over flow hose on the left side :think::stickpoke:

im hopen i can get this running without having to take it to the shop i realy cant aford it right now it might be another month before i get to ride i will be getting new plugs i hope that might be the problem i cant tell if those have ever been changed

Edited by pmelah
info

Paul, see your other post on "gas leaking from carbs" You need to get this fixed first, as you just found out when the float needle doesn't work the fuel pump continues to pump fuel out on the floor, don't continue to try to start it, a fire is not worth it. Change those float needles like I suggested, I believe I got a set of 5 in a pack for $10 from the Old Bike Barn. :080402gudl_prv:

ok i could not find my other post untill today had to clean all the cobwebs out of my laptop and viruses now im finding several post that i did and they all basicaly say the same thing sorry about that will try to keep everything at a minimum