IGNORED

Gas leak from carbs

pmelah

Paul, This was an issue that I had on my 96 after I had left it set up for a really long time. I had rebuilt the carbs and reset the floats a gazillion times. I used the manometer technique (tube attached to bowl drain) to check the floats and got intermittent results. I even lowered or raised according to your perspective the level to almost nothing and every once in awhile one of them would overflow. I was confused and kept digging what I finally found was that the spring loaded pins in the float needles didn't work right they were sticky. The manometer test was trying to tell me but it took awhile to figure it out. Replaced the float needles as they are cheap, four for like 10 bucks, not worth fooling with the pins and springs as they are too tiny for old eyes and bifocals. I am not a betting man but I would bet on this as your fix.

:banana:

Sounds like joboo's suggestion is the way to go being that you rebuilt your carbs.

On my 89 VR, last spring I had one carb continually leak fuel out the over flow. Opening the overflow screw did not help. Taping on the carb did not help. And I had not rebuilted my carbs.

I ended up removing the air cleaner box and some hoses so I could get to all 4 carbs vertically. Being that I have small hands and long thin fingers, I was able to unscrew the 4 drain bowel bolts so to see what came out 1 at a time and flushed more fuel into each bowel.

None of that helped. Lastly I took a wire and made a long hook. The wire was flexable so it would bend with a lttle pressure. I inserted the wire into into the drain bowel and after a while I was able to find and raise the float up and the let it drop down, several times, then flushed more fuel thru it.

Put it all back together and bingo it fixed the problem.

In order to get a couple of the drain bolts back on, I had to use a long single strand wire and looped the end over just under the head bolt. Then lowered the bolt so I could then push the bolt into the hole and soon was able make enough of a turn for the threads to catch. Then pulled out the single strand wire.

hey joboo i checked on yamahapartshouse my total for the float needles is 34.53 thats with shipping old parts barn is 42.00 with shipping for a 5 pk is there a diference between the 2 in what they offer i want the cheapest deal but the best parts

rapping on the diaphram did not help going by my friend who rebuilt these carbs he said he thought he might have a problem with one of the floats not working right i did witness all 4 carbs disassembled on his work bench and he did put the float in water overnight thinking it may have a pin hole in it (this part i did not witness) but it popped up out of the water when he took the weight off of it i dont know what to think a shop quoted me 400.00 to fix and i cant afford it now so im going to do it myself good thing is i am mechanicaly inclined and can work on some things so if i screw this up i will then take it to the shop i just hope i dont screw it up

Edited by pmelah
add

Sounds like joboo's suggestion is the way to go being that you rebuilt your carbs.

On my 89 VR, last spring I had one carb continually leak fuel out the over flow. Opening the overflow screw did not help. Taping on the carb did not help. And I had not rebuilted my carbs.

I ended up removing the air cleaner box and some hoses so I could get to all 4 carbs vertically. Being that I have small hands and long thin fingers, I was able to unscrew the 4 drain bowel bolts so to see what came out 1 at a time and flushed more fuel into each bowel.

None of that helped. Lastly I took a wire and made a long hook. The wire was flexable so it would bend with a lttle pressure. I inserted the wire into into the drain bowel and after a while I was able to find and raise the float up and the let it drop down, several times, then flushed more fuel thru it.

Put it all back together and bingo it fixed the problem.

In order to get a couple of the drain bolts back on, I had to use a long single strand wire and looped the end over just under the head bolt. Then lowered the bolt so I could then push the bolt into the hole and soon was able make enough of a turn for the threads to catch. Then pulled out the single strand wire.

havent found a wire strong enough for that but i was thinking about flushing a stong dose of sea foam thru it before i order the float pins thinking maybe that will help i wish i would have taken pics of the carbs when the were disasembled on the bench the bike had setup for 3 1/2 yrs with gas in it the gas evaperated over that time or leaked out not sure but when i seen the bottom of the bowls it looked like some one put that alabama red clay in it and the tank dont know what caused it my thinking the ethenol not sure any way all 4 carbs had it and that stuff eat up one of the bowl covers so that was replaced im rambeling on too much just thought id give yall an idea of what i did run into at the start of this project

hey joboo i checked on yamahapartshouse my total for the float needles is 34.53 thats with shipping old parts barn is 42.00 with shipping for a 5 pk is there a diference between the 2 in what they offer i want the cheapest deal but the best parts

Sorry Paul, must have got them on sale, powersports has them for $29.26 for a 5 pack -don't know the shipping, here is the link:http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/K-L-Supply-Float-Needle-5pk-18-8944-p/4113374.htm?Click=35177

I have 2 left over from past rebuilds, I will be glad to send them to you if that would help. PM me your address if you want em.

:sign07: