IGNORED

Tire Help Akron Ohio

Hello all,

I was just wondering if there is anyone close to Akron Ohio that might be able to help change out my tires? I'm willing to take them off and all, but I don't have the tools to break them down and spin balance them. If someone's got their on little garage that is willing to help, I'd be more than willing to through a few bones their way for the effort. Please feel free to PM me.

Like I said, I'll take the old tires off and on, I just need help getting the new tires on the wheel hub and balance them.

Yeah a local guy here changes and balances for $15 if you take him the wheel.

Always thought he had a tire changer but seen him working on one one day and he had it down on the floor and taking it apart with tire tools. He does have a balancer though.

Just look around I bet you can find somebody.

BOO

Oh I plan on being there. I didin't even think about tires at Don's. Can I do the back tires there too?

I saw a lot of tires being changed out at Don's. He has a tire changer and usually someone has a balance tool if you really need one. I use the Avon Venoms and you really do not need a balance tool after the first tire change and rim balance.

The Avon Venoms do not have balance dots on the tires like some others. With some other brands you line the dots with the air valve on the tire and they are balanced.

The Avon Venoms are balanced so close that they do not need a dot according to Avon, and I have to believe it because there tires work great for me.

Well sounds like I am selling for Avon Venom. But I am not, just trying to help you out. I just changed mine out today and just like has been said, you can take the tires and wheels to someone if you absolutely can not change them.

I changed my rear tire today. Here is how;

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=555

#1. Mark the axle position at the side with the pinch bolt. Remove the rear wheel. The axle will come out easily if you turn the axle at the Allen head side (rotor side) and pull at the same time.

#2. Take the valve out of the tire. Mark the valve placement with the tire location on the old tire and the new tire for location. Make sure you get the tire on, in the right direction. Motorcycle tires are rotational oriented. They have arrows showing the direction of travel. If you have tires that have the balance dot, then if this is the case, the balance dot should line up with the valve.

#3. Put the wheel on some small pieces of 2" X 4" or 4" X 4" works best, one on each side of rim in a place that you can back a pick up or some vehicle up to it.

#4. I used a 8' long 4"x4" and a 8" inch piece of 4"x4' to put onto the tire edge close the rim, 1/2" or so on tire edge and from the rim. Back a vehicle up to the tire location. I used a pick up with a ball hitch on it and pried under the ball mount stinger. There are tools made for this, but I do not have one yet. I am thinking of adding something to the side of my garage wall and have a friend weld me up a tool for this.

#5. Put the long 4"x4" on top the short piece of 4"x4" and under the vehicle/hitch,bumper or what ever to get leverage.

#6. Pry down and the tire will brake loose from the rim fairly easy on the first or second try.

#7. I use a cheap set of tire irons from JC Whitney. They are 12" long and come with rim covers to keep from damaging your rim. Two sets are nice to have. Only about 10 -14 dollars a set. Remove the tire while the rim is still on the 4"x4" short pieces you laid your rim on.

( The back side is a little tricky, but will come off. I laid my tire with the brake rotor down for this part.)

#8. Once you have the tire removed, use a fine wire brush to remove any black junk from the inside rim edge and inside the rim. I used a copper pipe cleaning tool. Then I used WD 40 & PB Blaster to spray on a cloth and wipe the inside of my rim. Cleans it very well after you brush the rim edge and rim on both sides. If you have a plastic 50 gallon barrel, it works great for a bench to work on the new tire and rim.

#9. Now orient your tire in the correct direction of travel according to the arrows on the tire and your rim direction of forward travel.

#10. Have your self some dish liquid from the kitchen (or regular tire liquid from auto store) to put on the tire edge and the rim edge. Only put the liquid on one side of the tire at a time. Start the tire on and apply pressure to a point that you will need to put the rim protectors on the rim and begin prying the tire on. Only 2-3 inches at a time. Just takes a 3-4 minutes and if you cleaned your rim and lubricated the tire and rim, no problem at all. I can put the front tire on with my bare hands and no tools.

#11. Now that you have the tire on, very important to align the tire in the corect spot according to your marks or dot on the tire. Pay close attention to this as you proceed to the next step.

#12. Have yourself a small ratchet strap. Put the strap on the tire in the center of the tire and cinch it up tight. Also align the tire edge and rim together as you do this. Pay attention to the markings to keep the tire in the right position.

#13. Replace the air valve in the rim. Air the tire and see if it will take air, if not check for problem spot and fix it. Make sure tire is in right position. Make sure you get enough air in the tire to get it to pop onto the rim all the way. Check the rim once you hear the pop (watch your fingers !) and make sure it is properly attached all the way around. If not add more air until it is. Set at proper air pressure, factory says 42 rear and 36 front. I personally go a little more because I weigh 278 lb.

#14. Now clean and follow these instructions before putting the tire and wheel back on.http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13263 AND

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1705

#15. Check air pressure again and put the tire and wheel back on. Put the axle in at the mark you made and align all completely. A real good tech section on putting the wheel back on correctly is http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=515 AND http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4660 Pay special attention to properly aligning the axle to the mark you made, filed my mark into the pinch bolt line, tightening the acorn nuts and aligning the wheel and dive link properly and getting the drive shaft aligned and inside the yoke.

I wished you lived closer, I would come help you out.

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

Wow! I take a day off from reading the forum and look at all the responses. You guys are GREAT!

Fuzzy, thanks for the tut. I feal like I really can do this now.

And Hummingbird, thanks for the info too. But I think Humad tire is going to be a bit closer for me.

Thanks again everybody.

Wow! I take a day off from reading the forum and look at all the responses. You guys are GREAT!

Fuzzy, thanks for the tut. I feal like I really can do this now.

And Hummingbird, thanks for the info too. But I think Humad tire is going to be a bit closer for me.

Thanks again everybody.

No problem, I noticed after I did the write up that you have a 1st Gen, but I think all is pretty much the same.

I always go back and refresh myself here when comes time for tires. I said in another post about the same thing, that I have to jump around the tech library several times to get the information I need. I tried to put it all in one area the best I could. I also posted it in the Poor Man section.

Maybe if it suits everyone Freebird can put it the Tech Library. I know he will not with out being ask and also if there is one already. I do not think there is with all the info in one place, but I have been wrong more than once in my life, just ask my wife.

Someone else may see something I missed to, so please jump in if so. Will not hurt my feelings at all. Just trying to help out and give back to the site that has helped me so much.

Thanks all.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2:

• 2 months later...
Hello all,

I was just wondering if there is anyone close to Akron Ohio that might be able to help change out my tires? I'm willing to take them off and all, but I don't have the tools to break them down and spin balance them. If someone's got their on little garage that is willing to help, I'd be more than willing to through a few bones their way for the effort. Please feel free to PM me.

Like I said, I'll take the old tires off and on, I just need help getting the new tires on the wheel hub and balance them.

Action Cycle in Alliance used to do mine...it's been a few years though...they were pretty avid VR guys too and always had used parts available

Thanks for the info, but actually I used Midway Yamaha in Akron, Ohio. Here's their website. http://www.midwayyamaha.com/

Gotta say they were really fair to me. The mechanic took real good care of my girl, and we had a nice long talk. He's been riding Yamaha's forever. And he's got a foundess for Ventures (espcially the 1st gens), so it was really nice having him work on it. I can really recommend them.

Of course I really like working on my scoot myself (save a few bucks, and heck I enjoy it. :)) But for something like the rear tire, I'd just as soon take it to them agian. They did both tires, a carb sync, checked the idle and the temp...for just over $150. And that included disposal of the old tires. And they got it all done in just a few hours. I dropped it off in the morning on the way to work and picked it back up after work. Great way to go if you ask me!

Oh and BTW, I got the Shinko Tourmaster on my bike and LOVE them. Purchased them from Motorcycle Superstore and got a good deal. (around $120 for the pair) They were having a sale at the time. I don't know how well they'll wear, but they ride great!

Thanks for the info, but actually I used Midway Yamaha in Akron, Ohio. Here's their website. http://www.midwayyamaha.com/

Gotta say they were really fair to me. The mechanic took real good care of my girl, and we had a nice long talk. He's been riding Yamaha's forever. And he's got a foundess for Ventures (espcially the 1st gens), so it was really nice having him work on it. I can really recommend them.

QUOTE]

With your bike being an 83, anytime you replace the rear tire it is a good idea to pull off the rearend assembly and grease the driveshaft on both ends. If this is not done at some point, it will fail and you may get stranded. It is not a big deal to pull the rearend and driveshaft and you also need to grease the splines inside the hub.

RandyA

Excellent points Venturous. I read all about that on this forum, and I made sure that the dealer was going to do all that for me. The mechanic walked me through the whole proceedure. Like I said, I felt like I was really taken care of by the dealer, and the mechanic was top notch (IMHO)