IGNORED

How-To: Custom Mirrors on 1st Gen

ok, so if your tall like me (6'3), you might have some problems with 1st gen mirrors. i do. i see mostly shoulder, and that wasnt cutting it any longer. i had a difficult time finding mirrors for our ride that have a 1" center-to-center mounting. in fact, i couldnt find any at all. several hours worth of research later, and i decided to do this: i used the old mounts, bought some mirrors from Dennis Kirk (after looking through dozens of them!), and hooked em up!. the mirrors came in a pair for 16.00 plus shipping. i like the price as well as, the cool 80's look they have. they are EMGO ROADHAWKS. first, i removed the old mirror from the mount. then, i drilled out the hole to hold the new mirror. fit perfectly, except....you cant fit a 10mm nut in there. so...i drilled out a space for the nut to fit in, being careful to not drill it out fully. i didnt want the nut to spin around. problem solved! a little finessing, some locktite and final adjustments....VOILA! custom mirrors. enjoy!

Edited by reddevilmedic

That is a stunningly good idea. I find the stock mirrors a complete pita.

By the way .... is it easy to find threaded mirrors that will fit the threaded holes next to the clutch and brake master cylinders?

That is a stunningly good idea. I find the stock mirrors a complete pita.

By the way .... is it easy to find threaded mirrors that will fit the threaded holes next to the clutch and brake master cylinders?

im not sure....i wanted to keep stock location, and fixed.

im not sure....i wanted to keep stock location, and fixed.

You did good :)

I actually use those holes for RAM mounts, but I had considered fitting blindspot mirrors in them.

I will upgrade the stock mirrors asap. I have a 1300 mile ride this weekend, and I wish I had those mirrors already!

Dennis Kirk has DOZENS of mirrors with a 10mm post like this one. flamed, chromed, carbon fiber, etc....you could customize your ride anyway you like! this particular mirror had a couple good reviews...one of the reasons i went with it. it also has a slightly magnified field of vision.

One mirror hole in master housing is regular right hand thread (clutch side), other is a left hand thread (brake side). On the 1st gens, not sure about 2nd gens.

Most mirrors I have seen, have a indentation running around the jamb nut at its mid point for the left hand threads.

Gary

Guest Rev'n Ahead

VERY nicely done!!!

I also like that they are out a bit wider than stock - but I'm not gonna say anything about a wider rider! :stirthepot:

Thanks for the GREAT mod.

Cheers,

ok, so if your tall like me (6'3), you might have some problems with 1st gen mirrors. i do. i see mostly shoulder, and that wasnt cutting it any longer.

Nice job... :thumbsup2: I'm also tall, and the rear view is about the only thing I don't like about 1stGens. A real PITA keeping track of what's behind you. The mirror view is also one of the things I like about my 2ndGen.