First of all, I'm not an electronics guy so I'm not sure where to begin to trace down this problem. The radio on my '83 doesn't work at all. All I have done so far is try to deturnine if I'm getting power to it. I unplugged the plug from the back of the radio and tested all of the pins. I am getting power to some of them but I don't know if that really means anything.:confused24: Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for a starting point to find the problem. I don't know if the tape deck works or not because I've been afraid to put a tape in it. When I turn the radio on, I don't get any lights or anything. Where should I begin? Thanks in advance for your help.

Over time the inner main tray sags and the radio unit will further push it away rather than the two blue plugs engaging... this may or may not be your problem but let's start with just the basics of power...

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/radio%20tray.jpg

When you put a tape in the tape deck, ( ie: push it in ) this triggers a signal, or switch or something, and the radio goes OFF, ( output from radio to Amplifier is cut off )

And the Input to the AMP is switched to the tape deck.

It possible that the mechanical mechanism in the tape deck is stuck, ( ie it thinks there is a tape installed,

( Well MABY, this is a left field item )

Also, Pull the Unit UP and OUT, Check all the Pins in the two plugs, There migh be a BENT Male Pin, Two plugs in there, a lots of pins.

( Another left field item )

Also, on the side of the Amplifier, there some Large Cables, that Plug into the AMP,

Re Seat all of these, Could be the problem.

Also, Check the Intercom VOLUME LEVEL CONTROL, Move it around.

Is the Squelech on the CB Turned UP High enough, If the Squelch on the CB is

Triggered, this will cut off the Radio. CB Audio takes Over.

--- Left field again ---

Play with the push button switch that switchs between Headphones, and Speakers.

:detective::detective:

I found the problem this weekend. I was in the process of checking to make sure I had a good ground and noticed to wires with in-line fuses. I checked and both fuses were blown. I replaced them and now the radio works fine. But there still may be a problem that may have caused the blown fuses to begin with. With the radio off, when I turn the key on, there is a pop that comes from the speakers and then you can hear a faint humming coming from the speakers. I am thinking this is not normal considering that the radio is turned off. When I turn the radio on, it seems to work very well.

I found the problem this weekend. I was in the process of checking to make sure I had a good ground and noticed to wires with in-line fuses. I checked and both fuses were blown. I replaced them and now the radio works fine. But there still may be a problem that may have caused the blown fuses to begin with. With the radio off, when I turn the key on, there is a pop that comes from the speakers and then you can hear a faint humming coming from the speakers. I am thinking this is not normal considering that the radio is turned off. When I turn the radio on, it seems to work very well.

The "pop" is the "in rush" current that happens when you turn electronics on. More than likely a filter capacitor on the main power input is getting "old" and can't react fast enough to shunt the voltage spike to ground..

The "humming" you hear is electrical noise from the motor in the tape deck. Again this is probably due to an "old" filter....