IGNORED

New tire and greased, no go. Help

Mikealiasmike

Pulled rear tire off my 05 RSTD for new. Greased the splines and pulled the drive shaft for greasing. Reinstalled in reverse order and now just getting clicking when rolled. Won't move under power. What did I do wrong (1st genners leave this one alone about biggest mistake is buying a 2nd gen)

Pulled rear tire off my 05 RSTD for new. Greased the splines and pulled the drive shaft for greasing. Reinstalled in reverse order and now just getting clicking when rolled. Won't move under power. What did I do wrong (1st genners leave this one alone about biggest mistake is buying a 2nd gen)

Sounds like you did not get the tricky spline back in place, up front at the motor. Sometimes takes a little time and moving it in out and around to get the spline back in the U-joint. I used a wire to help one time. Another time it just went right in. You gotta get the feel for it, the spline has to be back into the yoke.

Pay close attention to this thread link, do exactly as it says to get proper alignment and torque on these bolts. The bottom red paragraph is the spline alignment. But read it all if you have not.:2cents:

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=515

The first genners can sometimes be a big help to you. A little poking for fun don't hurt that bad.

Hope this helps. That is what I believe is your problem, from what you posted.

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

Yup, even a 1st gen that missed the spline will have the same performance as a 2nd gen that missed the spline. Yes it is easy to get it all bolted back together with the end of the drive shaft NEXT to the spline coming out of the trans.:whistling:

When you get it together and have the 4 acorn nuts started give the rear a spin by hand to see if you really do have the spline engaged before you button it all up again. It should spin when in neutral and not spin if in gear.

And yes it is required to get a 1st gen vs 2nd gen stab in there.......:stirthepot:

Fuzzy, I'm sorry, should have given you thanks also. Got so frustrated I overlooked your tremendous help. God bless. And as for the second genners just biting at the bit to chime in.... Lets have it lol.:happy65:

Thanks my friend. Glad to help, ride safe. God bless.

James

Hey Mike,

Glad to see you got it figured out. would've given you a push if I could....oh, wait, did that last year.........:stickpoke:

Ride safe buddy, see ya somewhere on the road.

Nope, wasn't going to bring that up Kevin, nope, not me..

Was funny though..

Dennis

Hey Mike,

Glad to see you got it figured out. would've given you a push if I could....oh, wait, did that last year.........:stickpoke:

Ride safe buddy, see ya somewhere on the road.

Nope, wasn't going to bring that up Kevin, nope, not me..

Was funny though..

Dennis

Yep, me neither, was not going to mention that. Turn the key off Mike. :whistling:

Fuzzy

OK this sounds like a good story that needs to be shared.:fingers-crossed-emo