IGNORED

83 VR Slugish until it hits 3000 RPM

Pam

My 83 is sluggish and seems to be short on fuel at the lower RPM's It starts to take off and accerlerate at around 2500 and once at 3000 hang on. It idles good and all 4 pipes warm up evenly. It seems to get better as the day goes on. I am doing the sea foam in the fuel and plan on a carb sync. Any other suggestions??

I think I would start over with the three proceedures from the Manual.

Especially the Basic Throttle cable adjustment.

1. Throttle cable Basic Adjustment proceedure,

2. Basic idle speed adjust

3. Resync the carbs,

Make sure you have some amount of Slack in the cable, as called out in the manual.

Then back out All 3 Sync Screws, to the point of " Just Makeing Contact " with the Linkage assembly,

Then --- hook up your Vaccum gauge tool, and Redo the Sync proceedure.

See chapter Two of the manuel .

I would also suspect some Intake Manifold leaks, or missadjustment of the Clamps above and below the Carbs !!

To touch one other point, ( have you been test rideing the bike, Without the air cleaner, and Cover for the air cleaner installed ???? )

Just in case you are not aware, these bikes run like CRAP, without the cover installed on the Air Cleaner ( I know everybody knows that, but just in case :whistling:0

Last summer I had the carbs off because they were plugged solid. I cleaned them up with the help of some great pick's from Dingy. When I put them back on she started right up and ran good other than sluggish off the line, after the carb sync. I was thinking I missed a jet in the cleaning process, so have been doing the sead foam treatment with all covors and shields in place. It starts good and idles just sluggish off the line. As the day progresses it seems to get a little better, with the occasional pop in the exhaust on hard acceloration, once she pops she catches and takes off. Am I by chance running lean??Weather is crappy now so won't be able to check anythinng out, but any sugestions are appreciated

With crappy weather that is the best time for SeaFoam. 1 tank of gas or less, full can of seafoam, run it for about 20 minutes, then shut off. After that, start it up when ever you think of it, at least 2 x per day to get fresh seafoam into the idle circuit. If this take a week, so much the better, it gives the product time to work it's magic.

I din't get a chance to check all the great suggestions everyone has mentioned. I had the bike listed for sale because I have a GW also, and can't ride both and our insurance is just stupid expensive. Anyway some guy came along and decided he wanted it the way it was so my blond has found a new home, Sad to see her go because she was a great machine. Thanks again guys