I am wondering if my bikes fuel gauge is operating normally. Someone in another post

said with one or two bars left on the fuel ga. they had gone 110 miles. My gauge, with two bars left, only takes about 2.5 gals to fill it back up. Is this normal with these gauges? My trip odometer does not work, however, a round trip to work and back is about 100 miles. When I refill, it usually takes about 2.5 gals. :confused07:

I am wondering if my bikes fuel gauge is operating normally. Someone in another post

said with one or two bars left on the fuel ga. they had gone 110 miles. My gauge, with two bars left, only takes about 2.5 gals to fill it back up. Is this normal with these gauges? My trip odometer does not work, however, a round trip to work and back is about 100 miles. When I refill, it usually takes about 2.5 gals. :confused07:

40mpg is about right, and each guage acts a little differently. Especially on a 30 year old bike. My '83 would take around 3.2-3.4 gallons with one bar showing My odo works and have usually travel 150 miles... I think your right where you should be....

My 89 is not accurate using the bars. I can go from 45 - 55 miles before the 1st bar disappears. then the second bar is good to around 80ish..then the rest disappear fast. I have been getting around 140 miles until the red light comes on. I have only been getting lower to mid 30's lately. It seems to be doing better since I fixed the airbox and crank breather on Saturday. We'll have to see what this tank brings on overall mileage.

In town I never bother to stop for gas till the red light comes on when the last bar goes away it takes 4.0 gallons to refill. It is a 5 gal tank so that means that I have 1 gal of gas left. Since the last bar goes away right at 160 miles give or take a couple, I am getting 40MPG.

Best thing to do is to pack a gallon or two of gas and go for a long ride and make note of the mileage where each bar disappears and how far till you run out of gas.

I start walking right at 200 miles.

Or less if I was having fun.......:whistling: