IGNORED

3rd test ride 150 miles round trip

Sunday after getting the brakes blead, exhaust leak/backfire problem fixed and the rest of the body parts back on it was time to take her out on the road to see how she would do with the new Programmable TCI. So I called and arranged a hook up with RandyR in Dahlonga for the Bear On the Square Festival. (about a 75 mile one way trip)

She deffinately had a lot more acceration in all ranges but it was not a smooth acceration. It felt as if the bike was surging or lunging forward as it was cruising and accerating with a jerky reaction. When I would gun it, it the would increase RPM but it felt like the clutch was slipping a little and would have to catch up with the the engine to take off. The gas consumption was rapid.

Since the bike had been sitting for about a year with an empty tank and the new gas in that first tank and was mixed about 3 gal of gas to 1/2 can of seafoam I'm not discounting the possibility of some moisture in the tank and fuel system. I'm thinking I need to run a few tank full of gas to see if it improves.

While in Dahlonga we did hook up Randy's carb tune and the carb sync was pretty close to where it should be.

The second tank of gas without sea foam got 94 miles to 3.699 gallons of gas. Monday ride to work and back (20 miles each way was a little better but not 100%. Now on the third tank.

My next steps are to replace in lin fuel filter and fresh fluid and blead on the clutch line.

Any other ideas.

im only getting about 35mpg. but i run mine kinda hard, rarely out of 3rd gear. only above 55 do i go into 4th. just my pref. im using a reuseable filter i got from niche cycle. anodized aluminum, looks nice too. i dont have the new TCI, but curious about it. if you havnt already, check plugs (seafoam seems to be hard on them), replace wires, clean out carbs good, check all vacuum lines. it seems the mpg's on these run a pretty wild scale. skydoc has some nylon needle shims for slides. i installed them, but, im not sure if there was any improvement,i just dont pay that much attention.

Did you notice at any point the tach dropping out or the engine cutting out?

Gary

As a matter of fact I did notice several times, for just a split second the tach did drop out and then bounced right back. On one of those occassions it seemed the engine cut off at the same time for just a split second.

As a matter of fact I did notice several times, for just a split second the tach did drop out and then bounced right back. On one of those occassions it seemed the engine cut off at the same time for just a split second.

Any estimate of RPM at the time.

Gary

I'm getting some miss fireing also, on hard acceleration, in 2nd and 3rd gear.

But never happens under normal driveing.

I will test again, and watch to see iff the Tach falls off , when the miss fire happens.

Can't today though, pouring rain again :depressed::depressed:

I'm getting some miss fireing also, on hard acceleration, in 2nd and 3rd gear.

But never happens under normal driveing.

I will test again, and watch to see iff the Tach falls off , when the miss fire happens.

Can't today though, pouring rain again :depressed::depressed:

George,

Do you have an Ignitech TCI ?

Gary

I will contact Ignitech tonight.

Gary

You have any idea what's causing this Gary?

As you know, mine is one of several with a similar issue. I'm not bothered, and not pressing but I'm about to "enjoy" another 1300 mile weekend and fixing it eventually will bring much peace of mind.

I wanted to wait and eliminate any other possible issues before I started trying to tweak the TCI. But, I'm on my 5th tank of gas since the launch of TCI and the performance or gas mileage is not improving. I'm getting about 100 miles per tank and jerky/surging hard acceleration like George S says slow low speed accerlation is OK.

As well as the tach/engine drop out at about 4200 rpm intermittenly.

I too am having problems with the ingitech. I have been in touch with Gary who has been as helpful as he can. Mine is, for want of a better word hiccuping at 3200 plus a occasional total shutoff around 4200. The tach will occasionally drop also at any time. When I installed the ingitech I didn't ride it very far so no problems showed up. But the wife and I rode to Ohio Caverns on 4/13-14 it was on this ride when those symptoms started to appear. I carry another stock TCI in the saddlebag so I didn't worry about being stranded. We made it home using the Ingitech. I have cleaned every switch on this bike and keep up on regular maintenance. I have been in touch with Gary about it and waiting to see if anyone else was having the same symptoms and posting it on here. I'm not ready to give up on this new TCI. If it takes sending it back to get it fixed {no problem}. Now I know its not just mine.:D

Today I noticed the tach drop couple of times at around 3800 rpm. I was beginning to think that all of the symptoms were showing up between 4000 and 5000 rpm but this does not seem to be completely accurate. On hard acceleration there is a big hesitation before it takes off. but when it does it flies.

I'm wondering if the rest of you with the same symptoms are getting lousey fuel consumption as well? I'm averageing around 27 mpg. mostly hyw at 55 to 70 mph and about 25% in town 35 to 45mph.

George,

Do you have an Ignitech TCI ?

Gary

No, Stock, but I also have a spare TCI, " On Board " I switched the cables today, and will take for a test ride maby tomorrow,

I'm in Seattle , and it was , guess what ??? RAINING Today, of all things !!!

Whats an Ignitech TCI, I guess I missed that one--- ( I suppose sombody has come up with something I'm going to have to spend some more money on , Jezzzzzzz ) :(

Just spent all my money on a new tire.

Today I noticed the tach drop couple of times at around 3800 rpm. I was beginning to think that all of the symptoms were showing up between 4000 and 5000 rpm but this does not seem to be completely accurate. On hard acceleration there is a big hesitation before it takes off. but when it does it flies.

I'm wondering if the rest of you with the same symptoms are getting lousey fuel consumption as well? I'm averageing around 27 mpg. mostly hyw at 55 to 70 mph and about 25% in town 35 to 45mph.

i dont have an Ignitech, but you have certainly sparked my interest. i WAS considering one. have you tried to put stock TCI back in? or did you have to modify the harness for Ignitech?

No, Stock, but I also have a spare TCI, " On Board " I switched the cables today, and will take for a test ride maby tomorrow,

I'm in Seattle , and it was , guess what ??? RAINING Today, of all things !!!

Whats an Ignitech TCI, I guess I missed that one--- ( I suppose sombody has come up with something I'm going to have to spend some more money on , Jezzzzzzz ) :(

Just spent all my money on a new tire.

It is an aftermarket TCI for the 1st gens.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66281

Gary

i dont have an Ignitech, but you have certainly sparked my interest. i WAS considering one. have you tried to put stock TCI back in? or did you have to modify the harness for Ignitech?
Good question

Dingy will the old TCI plug back in after changing out the bike side plugs and does the old sensor have to be hooked bck up too?

Good question

Dingy will the old TCI plug back in after changing out the bike side plugs and does the old sensor have to be hooked bck up too?

I have been talking to Gary on the side offering a second point of view on these issues.

I was wondering if someone who can duplicate cutout, could change software to "no sensor" and try again. I am suspecting a problem with the MAP sensor.

btw, I have run the v80 and now the v88, but I am running with an actual TPS instead of MAP and not having a problem.

To answer your question, the changed out bike side plugs were suppose to be a match for OE plugs, and should refit OE TCI. Also likely yes-will need stock MAP sensor for 'PROPER' run, but should work without any sensor. Not sure how GM sensor would react with OE TCI.

Good question

Old TCI should fit back in with the removal of the Ignitech adapter harness.

The stock Vacuum sensor would be a better match for the stock TCI. The new MAP sensor would not be wired into the stock TCI as it has seperate connection to Ignitech TCI.

For a good comparision of differences between TCI's, it would be best to have old vacuum sensor installed.

Gary

Old TCI should fit back in with the removal of the Ignitech adapter harness.

The stock Vacuum sensor would be a better match for the stock TCI. The new MAP sensor would not be wired into the stock TCI as it has seperate connection to Ignitech TCI.

For a good comparision of differences between TCI's, it would be best to have old vacuum sensor installed.

Gary

In doing this I think I discovered something important today which might explain everything. I'm going to start a new thread called "TCI Problems" to refresh the discussion on the subject.