IGNORED

Headlight Bucket????

I need some help...I just recently switched to LED turn, run and brake lighting. They work great thanks to Custom Dynamics. I also changed my driving lights to LED Sun spots and they too are great. So here's the problem: I have a Phase 7 LED headlight to replace the original, but HOW DO YOU OR CAN YOU REMOVE THE METAL HOUSING BUCKET FROM THE GLASS? I need the housing in order to mount the new LED bulb. Is this possible because without the metal housing I cannot mount the new LED bulb? If I cannot use the metal housing can anyone shed some light on a possible alternate solution. I really cannot use the LED driving lights with a regular headlight bulb because it doesn't look good at all. Thanks in advance:)

Jakbag

First off a discription of what model and year your working with will help out. On to the other problem. I'm guessing here you need a retaining ring of sorts to hold the "bulb" part into the bracketry is that right? I have been reading up on HID conversions and through those posts I have seen where some have went the LED route. Hopefully they will jump in with some info how they did it. In the mean time have you searched any of those posts to see if a write up was done?

I am sorry that I didn't say the year and make. Probably since I'm new here and thought it came up under my profile. I have 2001 RSV.. With that said, it is the metal bucketry and no it's not the clip. I'm simply asking does the metal bucketry assembly come apart from the glass housing? I'm attempting to replace the glass housing with an all in one LED component. Unlike the "changing of the bulb posts", which I've read or the "conversion to HID", I am looking for anyone who has switched to an "all" LED headlight bulb, not a conversion, which I have searched and read many of those posts. It appears that very few, if any have made the switch to LED and much rather went with an HID convertion. I'm calling Custom Dynamics this morning to pick their brain because one would think that since they sold the product they would have some install knowledge??? At a loss right now and seeking some advice....

:confused07::confused07::confused07::confused07::confused07: Jakbag

The headlight glass is glued to the metal bucket (if you are speaking of a 2nd Gen)...

To removeit you have two choices..

1) Break the glass and take it out in pieces (as I had to do)

2) You can try to heat the metal bucket (slowly & carefully) and see if that softens the glue enough to where you can remove the glass..I have never done this.

I did a major mod to mine about 6 yrs ago, so that I could replace the headlight at anytime with a head light assembly from a auto part store.

You can see what I did here.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=498

exact write up I did a year earlier except I didnt mention heating the glue with a torch in my write up.

I surely would not bond the glass back in the metal ring all the way around the circumference of the glass... only a few spots (12,3,6,9,oclock positions)..

It looks like hanks write up has an 06 RSV..mine was an 05

Ok so here's an update. I heated the outside beveled area of the glass and was able to remove the metal bucket assembly from the glass. Once removed I used a dremmel tool to clean the residual factory glue. At the advice of my buddy, who owns a body shop, I used urethane, which is used to secure automobile rear windows and applied a bead around the inside lip and then applied 3 lines from top to bottom inside the metal bucket. I then aligned the Phase 7 LED headlight from Custom Dynamics and placed it into the metal bucket. Urethane sets in 15 minutes and is rock solid in 24 hours, so placement must be perfect. The old snap ring is useless since the LED is slightly smaller in diameter so that was discarded. I'm not totally finished, but the headlight is now secure inside the bucket. I will finish the job on Sunday, but thought I'd share this little tid bit should anyone want to try yourself. Ok, so I cheated a little and had to plug it in and all I can say is WOW!!!! Stay tuned and thank you to those who helped me with the removing of the glass question:)

Jakbag

:( Yea I know. I just did a project installing an aux fuse box and I was so happy to get it done I had it all put back together and not a single pic. So I need to make a note when I finnish up the rest of project (aiting on HID kit) I'll have to post some pics.

Well, it's all back together and looks AWESOME!! Here's what I did: I replaced the OEM Headlight with a Phase 7 LED. I also replaced the OEM Driving Lights with LED Sun Spots. I also replaced all the signals & brake lights with LED. All from Custom Dynamics. Here is the comparison that I'm saving regarding AMPS, not $$$$ because these weren't cheap:

LED Headlight low beam 1.5 amps / stock 4.9 amps

High beam 2.3 amps / stock 5.5 amps

LED Driving Lights 1.4 amps / stock 4.0 amps

That's a huge savings on the battery if I might say...I've attached a bunch of pics. I also added a set of Crutchfield speaker baffles, removed the tape player and added an MP3 cable while the fairing was apart. I wonder what's next???? I really appreciate everyones comments, posts and pics on this site. Best $12 BUCKS I've spent in years......

Thanks,

JAKBAG

Edited by Jakbag

• 2 months later...

I have no complaints of any interference at all. I did research the LED bulbs prior to tackling this project and found that the "cheapo" brands will give the interference rather than using quality. I went with Custom Dynamics because they are 100% US made and they are top quality. They are expensive, but worth every $$$$$$$ spent! Also, the Phase 7 LED headlight is actually made by Truck Lite, who are located in Rochester, NY and also are made right there as well. As a matter of fact, all of my lighting has been replaced with LED's from CD. Hope this helps.......

Jakbag

I have no complaints of any interference at all. I did research the LED bulbs prior to tackling this project and found that the "cheapo" brands will give the interference rather than using quality. I went with Custom Dynamics because they are 100% US made and they are top quality. They are expensive, but worth every $$$$$$$ spent! Also, the Phase 7 LED headlight is actually made by Truck Lite, who are located in Rochester, NY and also are made right there as well. As a matter of fact, all of my lighting has been replaced with LED's from CD. Hope this helps.......

Jakbag

How does it compare to the $70 HID headlight kit? The HID throws light out a long way and is visible during the day time on low beam.. I've had mine on the bike for 2 years now without any probs.. Some LED headlights have been reported as not being easily seen on low beam during the day time...? I had also switched from the cheapo LED spot lamps to the Custom Dynamics and found them so much better.. brighter, no noise interference in the radio and more reliable..

Well, honestly I can't compare to the HID because I have never seen one eliminated on a bike, except for pics, which do no justice. I can tell you that it's a HUGE difference from the OEM bulb. My wife calls the lights obnoxiously brite, LOL! The Phase 7 LED is $250 compared to the much cheaper HID! I didn't look at the cost when I did the complete lighting changeover to LED. I was more concerned at cutting the amps and MUCH MORE VISABILITY!!!! I hope this this helps......and your absolutely right about the quality versus value of the LED bulbs. There are many junk brands, but I always believe that you get what you pay for!! Custom Dynamics is a TOP NOTCH company and their customer service is superior:)

John aka Jakbag