IGNORED

The power of eyesight.

Flyinfool

OK, I'll admit it I'm guilty of this one big time.

On a whim I went to the eye doctor for the first time in 25 years.

At my last visit the doc asked me why I was there. I told him that I felt my eyesight was deteriorating because I had to get closer to highway signs before I could read them than what it used to be. so he tested my eyes and said that I have perfect 20-20 vision.

Fast forward 25 years.

I went to the eye doc cuz the company I work for just added eye care insurance.

After the eye exam the doc ordered me a nice pair of trifocals. so I went from better than 20-20 to darn near blind without even noticing it.

In doing some experimenting with these new glasses I would sit a a stop sign and see a bike coming, lift up the glasses and the bike was gone, just a kind of bright spot from the headlight. A Gold Wing or full dress Harley was completely invisible to me at 2 city blocks away, and just starting get noticeable at 1 city block. Now with my glasses I can see a bike more than a mile away.

I really thought that what I was seeing was just how the world really looked. I was on the verge of going out to buy a new TV cuz I could not read any text on the screen like the scores of a sporting event. I figured the TV was 20 years old and just getting blurry.

The moral is, how many other drivers out there have eyes that are as bad or worse than mine and still driving not even realizing that their eyes had gotten so bad over time.

It brings new understanding to the "I didn't see the bike coming". What is really scarey is that I just passed the drivers license vision test without the glasses on. So there can be a lot of us blind people out there driving. I even passed the vision test for my pilots license. So dont forget to look up, theres blind people flying those airplanes.

This has all been an eye opening experience for me, and really makes me wonder about the person driving that car waiting for me to pass at an intersection.

Before my Mom was diagnosed with glaucoma a few years ago I might go 3-5 yrs between checkups because my vision wasn't changing, now I have to go yearly since she's the 2nd person on her side of my immediate family to develop glaucoma. Neither she nor my grandmother were diabetics either. Doc says my chances of getting glaucoma are low because I inherited Dad's vision problems, not hers. However we'll see how it goes in another 20 yrs. I try to get my MIL to get regular eye exams and glaucoma checks because her Dad also had glaucoma. She's rather ignore it and hope she never gets it. Money and insurance aren't even the issue. She and my FIL both have excellent coverage. She just won't go.