Ok, this will sound a bit odd but I've been playing with the handlebar adjustments on my '84 and I've found a hugh differerence in the temps on my hands.

When I bought the bike the hand grips were set (rotated) very low on the riser arms. I learned to ride it like that and only played with rotating the risers on the triple tree back and forth a bit. Never did the up and and down on the grip adjustments.

A couple of months ago I wanted to try a different feel so I rotated the grips fully upwards. You can't go too far as the adjustments are slotted to keep from over doing it in either direction. But, I've noticed with the grips as high as they will go the gloves I used to wear on the 30 degree mornings aren't cutting it anymore. My hands are out there in the wind a lot more than they were. My gloves get wet a lot quicker in the rain in that position also. Never used to get my gloves soaked while on the roll like that.

Not to mention it takes a lot more effort (in my mind) to push the bike into the curves with the grips up higher.

So... the grips got lowered back down and the wind is back off my hands again. Those 30 degree mornings are comfortable again with the same gloves and I can ride in the rain without wringing them out. And again, I've got the ease of control back when pushing into the curves.

Keeping the grips down low tucks them in nicely behind the fairing.

So depending on where your controls are set up might want to try some different adjustments to them before any other add-ons to to try for an improvement in the situation. If nothing else it's free to do and a few minutes time.

Just my humble opinion.....

Mike

Carl, where did you get those side wings? I've seen similar setups on JCWhitney and Dennis Kirk, but always say they are for a Gold Wing. I figured they could be fitted to our First Gens, but didn't want to spend the bucks just to find they didn't fit.

yeah! what he said....

Carl, where did you get those side wings? I've seen similar setups on JCWhitney and Dennis Kirk, but always say they are for a Gold Wing. I figured they could be fitted to our First Gens, but didn't want to spend the bucks just to find they didn't fit.

yeah! what he said....

Made them ourselves, and had the stainless brackets\holders made at the local stainless shop here. Why? you want some?

Carl and I both made a set of wings for our windshields. His are wider than mine. We bought acrylic clear plastic and traced a set I had given to me. Carl had the brackets made up from stainless and we cut some thin rubber as a gasket between the bracket and the plastic. They look good and were easy to make. My Navigator is very happy. It extends the "bubble" past her now so she is much more comfortable on those cooler rides.

• 9 months later...
My handlebars are down low, but I've also added a little width to the windshield this winter. Will have to see how it all pans out for my lady, but for me so far,, it's plain good!

Had you considered making and selling the side wings to members? If you did I'd take a set.

Had you considered making and selling the side wings to members? If you did I'd take a set.

Wouldn't be all that hard to make a set, hardest part would be to find and purchase the parts. I'm guessing around $20 to $30 plus shipping. I really have no real idea on the cost, seeing as Wayne got some parts and the stainless brackets were made free gratis last time, but will cost this time. If I make one set, those stainless jobbies will be expensive, if I make more, the cost goes down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Wider Clearview shield made a difference to me! I bought the widest and tallest they made. Also, the handlebar adjustment does make a difference. If you buy a Clearview, also get the vent. Their reduced price "blems" are a very good buy...

Bob, I know this post is almost two years old...but thought I would ask about the Clearview. I have owned two of them on both my VStars and like them. But the last time I wrote to them about acquiring the big windshield with vent for my 89 VR...I never heard back. I guess the customer sales rep (not the guy I dealt with before) is not interested in selling me a $300 windshield!

Regardless.....how do you like the wide tall screen? Notice any difference in wind resistance/buffeting/MPG's?

Thanks,

david

Actually, I am now a fan of F4 windshields! With the tall shield, expect to loose a MPG or 2 to wind resistance, but I never had any issues with buffeting. The wife appreciated the larger shield as well, less wind...

Bob, I know this post is almost two years old...but thought I would ask about the Clearview. I have owned two of them on both my VStars and like them. But the last time I wrote to them about acquiring the big windshield with vent for my 89 VR...I never heard back. I guess the customer sales rep (not the guy I dealt with before) is not interested in selling me a $300 windshield!

Regardless.....how do you like the wide tall screen? Notice any difference in wind resistance/buffeting/MPG's?

Thanks,

david

Actually, I am now a fan of F4 windshields! With the tall shield, expect to loose a MPG or 2 to wind resistance, but I never had any issues with buffeting. The wife appreciated the larger shield as well, less wind...

I looked at the F4 windshield. It says it's 5 inches wider but 4 inches shorter! I would think that would create more buffeting for the passenger. Not sure I would want that. I like the wider but not the shorter. And, I would want a blackout panel for glare reduction as well as a vent. It gets warm down here!

thoughts? :confused:

Thanks...

david

Yes, for a 1st gen the way to go is clearview with a vent. For blacking out on the bottom, I suggest masking the windshield and spraying the bottom where you want it masked out with black paint or grey tint. As suggested, check their website out and pick up one of their "blems." It saves money and the blemishes are sometimes almost impossible to detect. As far as scratches, all it takes is one ride in the dessert with wind to literally sandblast the shield! Use furniture polish to clean your shield and most of the scratches will disappear...