IGNORED

Replacing Front Wheel Bearings

Putting a new 150/80-16 Venom on the front and I feel a tight spot on both wheel bearings. I am going to replace them. I have 2 questions. A search here did not help me much.

(1) How do you get the bearings out ? With the inner spacer I see no way to use a standard bearing puller or a drift punch to knock em out, no lip to drive them out.

(2) Sourcing the bearing and seal? Yamaha part or from a bearing supply ? Aftermarket part numbers?

Putting a new 150/80-16 Venom on the front and I feel a tight spot on both wheel bearings. I am going to replace them. I have 2 questions. A search here did not help me much.

(1) How do you get the bearings out ? With the inner spacer I see no way to use a standard bearing puller or a drift punch to knock em out, no lip to drive them out.

(2) Sourcing the bearing and seal? Yamaha part or from a bearing supply ? Aftermarket part numbers?

For the '83 I picked up an impact bearing puller from Harbor Freight and got the bearings to come off the races a little, then the drift punch worked. If I remember correctly the bearing number is 6003... at least for the '83. The 2ndGens may be the same?? I picked them up from my son-in-law who manages a wholesale parts supplier. The bearing come in several different configurations. Stainless, sealed, open. I think I bought Timkins?? BTW don't forget to pick up new seals. Unless you're really good at removing bearings... :)

Edited by Condor

Do you have a welder?Or access to one?The way I removed my bearings was to put in a piece of cold roll steel inside the inner race of the bearing ,(a piece of all thread rod or a bolt will work) and tack weld the inner race of the bearing to the cold roll and then take a hammer and hit the cold roll or bolt and drive out the bearing then remove the spacer and then access to the bearing on the other side is easy.You may want to cover your rim and tire with something while welding it though.

To keep matters simple thee inside of the wheel where the axle goes through is made of 3 main pieces. Two bearings and a long spacer that goes from bearing to bearing. The spacer can move from side to side at one end to allow one to drive out the outer race of a bearing from the opposite side. It takes a little bit of care, but that's how the manual says to do it and it does work. Not sure if both sides of the spacer will move over to allow this, but I know one side will.

The only time a blind hole puller is needed is on a motorcycle ( I have been told). It is used on most brands to remove the wheel bearings. The best one I own is from Harbor Freight. It is much better than the professional one I bought for nearly $150.00.

:farmer:

The only time a blind hole puller is needed is on a motorcycle ( I have been told). It is used on most brands to remove the wheel bearings. The best one I own is from Harbor Freight. It is much better than the professional one I bought for nearly $150.00.

:farmer:

http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-hole-bearing-puller-95987.html

Is this the one which you speak of?

No offence taken. I just looked in my RSV manual and found this

93306-00420-00 BEARING (B6004)

Hope it helps.

I got a pair of the 6004's from the shop that mounted my tire, the 6004 OD is too small ! I ordered the all balls bearing and seal kit $24 and change.

Its now 69 bucks online and it wouldnt accept my 20% off coupon. Its only good in the store so tomorrow ill stop in and see if they have one in stock. Since im replacing both front and rear wheel bearings ill invest in the tool. :smile5:

Thanks for the response....

Its now 69 bucks online and it wouldnt accept my 20% off coupon. Its only good in the store so tomorrow ill stop in and see if they have one in stock. Since im replacing both front and rear wheel bearings ill invest in the tool. :smile5:

Thanks for the response....

Print the online page out and take it with you along with the coupon...

As often as I'll need this tool I'll just get the loaner from Autozone.

Now to pile things on, I just got a notification from fedex my flanders g2 bars, lines & cables are being delivered tomorrow :doh: now I'll have both bikes in pieces. The flanders, lines & cables are going on mama's trike.

Wasnt sure what kind of puller you were talking about until I saw the pic. I have used the same type puller for pilot bearings for a car with clutch. Dont allways work, but thats what your suposed to use. I too think I would go the autozone route. What is the source your getting the bearing from that work? With only 9900 miles I wouldnt think I'm anywhere near needing them.

Wasnt sure what kind of puller you were talking about until I saw the pic. I have used the same type puller for pilot bearings for a car with clutch. Dont allways work, but thats what your suposed to use. I too think I would go the autozone route. What is the source your getting the bearing from that work? With only 9900 miles I wouldnt think I'm anywhere near needing them.

Naaa, you wouldnt need them but if you did your warranty would cover them anyway. My rear wheel needed a bearing in 2003 and warranty covered it. Since im polishing my front wheel I decided to go ahead and replace the bearings as a precaution. I have another rear wheel from an 05 that im also polishing so I went ahead and ordered new bearings and seals for it. I also found the same puller on EBAY for 59 bucks, free shipping and since I had some ebay bucks stashed I was able to get it for 45 bucks. My bearing source as well as all my oem parts comes from Stadium cycle, a yamaha dealer in Texas. He averages about a 40% discount.

This new Venom front tire is awesome ! The bike handles the twisties with confidence I never had with the 404 front I just replaced. I bought the bike with the 404 and always felt like the front end was going to slide out on me, now I feel as though I'm riding a sport bike in the turns ! :bang head: now I'll be replacing floorboards more often than front tires :whistling: