IGNORED

Look what we found..........

DragonRider

]I am in the process of swapping out the tranny of my 83 and transplanting a tranny from an 86. Now back in 2005 after the very first Vogel, I had to replace the pinion gear in it. We pulled it out, dropped the oil pan to make sure there wasnt too much debris left in the engine. Its been 7 years and I have been riding around until about a year ago and the tranny finally quit shifting and I had to lay it up for this repair. We finally got it opened up this weekend and once we did we were in for quite a surprise to find quite a bit of metal bits, not just shavings but nice size chunks of the pinion gear, we fished it out with a magnet and got all of it out. We first realized what we were in for when I pulled the oil pump out and quite a few bits of metal fell out of it and when I shook it you could hear it rattling around inside of it. Take a look at the pinion and all the metal we took out 7 years later!!! If you take a look at picture #2 you will notice that the threaded part is broken off, this is what precipitated the destruction of the pinion........and when we pulled it all apart, the rest looked fine with the exception of the star wheel that rachets the shift, one of the pins was loose, becasue the tab that was supposed to hold it in place was bent and the pin was slipping out. I believe that is where my main problem was.

[ATTACH]66290[/ATTACH][ATTACH]66291[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]66292[/ATTACH][ATTACH]66293[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]66294[/ATTACH]

Edited by DragonRider

Wow Lew, it is amazing that you had that much metal loose in the engine without any ill effects. My biggest fear of damage would be a chunk going through the gears and causeing chipped teeth more than anything else.

Good luck on the 86 trans change over as that is what I did and completed about 10 miles before I left for Vogal II with a 450 camper behind me.

RandyA

I also noticed that someone had the engine opened up before me, there was yamabond on the engine cases when we split them, there wasnt any on the 86 when we split it open. Just wondering if someone tried the tranny fix before I got it, and didnt get it right.

There wasn't a trace of yamabond on the 86 cases, they were clean as a whistle.....very shiny. I also noticed some marks on some of the gears from the 86 that weren't present on the 83, and they were machined on the gears, not from wear and tear.

Lew, if you are talking about Yamabond between the cases, I think that is normal from the factory. I do think I remember seeing it on my engine and I am confident my engine had not been apart before.

RnadyA

Dan its pretty easy, but make sure you follow the write up in the tech section, we tried and kept getting hung up, went back and reread it and found out we had to remove 3 items, starter, water pump housing and rear master brake cyl, and it came right out, make sure you have a floor jack to put under the engine, its a big help.

Hardest part getting motor out Lew?? I have this to do on 2 engines already.

Randy how is 2nd Gen tranny working? I forgot about the one you pointed out on E-Bay. Missed it.

]I am in the process of swapping out the tranny of my 83 and transplanting a tranny from an 86. Now back in 2005 after the very first Vogel, I had to replace the pinion gear in it. We pulled it out, dropped the oil pan to make sure there wasnt too much debris left in the engine. Its been 7 years and I have been riding around until about a year ago and the tranny finally quit shifting and I had to lay it up for this repair. We finally got it opened up this weekend and once we did we were in for quite a surprise to find quite a bit of metal bits, not just shavings but nice size chunks of the pinion gear, we fished it out with a magnet and got all of it out. We first realized what we were in for when I pulled the oil pump out and quite a few bits of metal fell out of it and when I shook it you could hear it rattling around inside of it. Take a look at the pinion and all the metal we took out 7 years later!!! If you take a look at picture #2 you will notice that the threaded part is broken off, this is what precipitated the destruction of the pinion........and when we pulled it all apart, the rest looked fine with the exception of the star wheel that rachets the shift, one of the pins was loose, becasue the tab that was supposed to hold it in place was bent and the pin was slipping out. I believe that is where my main problem was.

[ATTACH]66290[/ATTACH][ATTACH]66291[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]66292[/ATTACH][ATTACH]66293[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]66294[/ATTACH]

Soooooo are you going to put all those pieces back on the gears?????? inquiring mind wants to know.

Dan, it went together great, I just have never put that engine in the bike.

RandyA

Getting it out is the easy part, putting it back in you have to hold your tongue just right,, and not that right, the other right,, or was it the middle right?????

Getting it out is the easy part, putting it back in you have to hold your tongue just right,, and not that right, the other right,, or was it the middle right?????

Sorry Carl, but I can't seem to get them together without a few choice words.

Brad