I know there are dozens of carb threads, but I'm dealing with a hardly running bike, so I'm trying to narrow it down as much as I can.

I bought this bike last year from a friend who never had it running and had it in pieces.

I put it mostly back together and replaced the battery and started to try to get it running.

It will run with the choke on, but will die if you blip the throttle. You can slowly start winding the throttle more and more until you get it to keep reving up but it never runs right. I ran some B12 carb cleaner through the system, but without being able to ride it, I can't tell if it is helping or not.

I removed and plugged off the vacuum chamber and as far as I can tell the carb boots are ok. I pulled the carbs off and removed floats, bowls and diaphrams, and cleaned the bejeebus out of them. This is when I got it running with the choke on.

I pulled the carbs off and removed floats, bowls and diaphrams, and cleaned the bejeebus out of them.

Do you mean you completely disassembled everything except the float valve seat? Cleaned every jet and orifice so carburetor cleaner would flow through? Set the float levels?

If not, you need to clean them again.

Do you mean you completely disassembled everything except the float valve seat? Cleaned every jet and orifice so carburetor cleaner would flow through? Set the float levels?

If not, you need to clean them again.

To be a little more specific, did you take the little manifold in the carb off that had the rubber plugs in the bottom? Did you make sure the orifices were cleaned out in the jets under the rubber plugs? Those are the pilot jets and are small and make a big difference in how the bike runs.

RandyA

What you are describing is how mine ran when I first got it. After an initial cleaning of the carbs, what I did was poured a can of sea foam into a half tank of gas and then every day for a week started it with the choke and let it run for about 20 minutes. Flushes the crud out of the carb and puts a clean mixture of gas and Sea Foam into the carbs to soak for another 24 hours, each day it ran a bit better with less choke. Then go through the carbs again, pay special attention to the jets under the two black plugs, they are very small and need to be open for the engine to idle. As good as Sea Foam is, it will not remove the build up in the jets if they are completely plugged.

You didn't say anything about the spark plugs, so I would suggest you change those before doing much else. Also, don't go cheap on the plugs, go to a real auto supply store to buy them, maybe a bit more money, but the chances of them working is much better.

Are you sure the throttle cable basic adjustments are correct, and the Sync Screws, are set so that All 4 throttle plates are fully closed,

Check pull cable, for some slack --

Now adjust master idle, and all three Sync screws, to they are Just makeing Contact to linkage.