IGNORED

Front Axle Right Spacer ?

I bought a set of roto covers for my MKII a while back on craigslist, but it did not include the spacer.

I thought that my machniest buddy could make a new spacer for me using the origional as a sample. I want to not shorten the OEM spacer incase I want to remover the roto covers for some reason, then I'll need the origional spacer. He can make one out of aluminum.

My question is, would making one out of aluminum be ok. I would think it would be but I thougth I better ask.

Another question:

I need to remove the front axle, so I can get the spacer out. I see the axle nut head. But I also see an allen head screw the goes in at a 90 degree to the axle.

Do I need to remove the allen head screw before I attempt to remove the front axle?

Or maybe better yet, does anyone have an extra front axle spacer opposite side of the speedometer. for a 91 MKII? It be a lot easier to machine shorten a spare OEM spacer the width of 2 roto plates than to make a new complete spacer.

Edited by Golf&Venture
Update

the 90 degree bolt is called the pinch bolt, locking the axle.

You will find the original spacer is steel and a replacement needs to be the same... you would be money ahead ordering one and taking THAT to the machinist to have the thickness of the TWO covers removed from the straight section of the spacer. The front wheel put a lot of load on all components of the front end with the spacer seeing some of the highest loads in turns and leans.

So I got the right front axle spacer reduced by 2 times the thickness of the roto cover. Got the wheel and the roto cover on.

The Speedometer is on correctly with the two prongs correctly placed.

The u shape on the outside of the speedometer correctly placed into the receiving part on the front fork.

Torqued to 75 ft pounds.

The brake calipar were left off for now.

The front wheel turns with some hand and arm pressure but does not spin freely.

As I loosen the axle bolt, the wheel spins freely.

My question is are front wheel bearing pressed in or are they like bicycle bearings where one can turn the bearing tighter or looser.

I'm thinking that I may have taken just a little too much on the spacer causing maybe the bearings to bind a bit.

So am having 3 spacers made if I can ( 1/32, 1/16 & 1/8). Then experiment.

Am I on the right track or is there something else that I'm missing.

The bearings are pressed in they are standard type ball bearings with an outer and inner race. I can take off my spacer tomorrow and measure it to see the width if that will help.I have the rotor on my 87VR and they are the same as yours( no difference from 86-93).

If you put chrome covers on each side why would you take twice the thickness off of one spacer instead of half the total off of each?

My 86 has the covers on it, unknown if anything was taken off, I do know it is a real pain to get the covers and spacers in there, you almost have to spread the forks by hand to do it.

The spacer on the left side is the Speedometer unit and it can not be messed with. Well one member shared when he bought a new 1st Gen and in so doing had the dealer put on some accessories. He kept ruining the rotors. After a few times he investigated and discovered that the dealer did not install the spacer that came with the covers. So most of the suggestions was to take 2 times the width of a rotor from the right spacer.

I believe I'm in uncharted waters and it made sence to shorten the spacer bt 2 times the width. Well now the right Roto cover drags on the several bolts that holds the actual rotor to the wheel.

So I will soon get 3 spacers milled. Sizes are 1/32, 1/24, 1/16. One of them should work.

How many miles have you put on your Venture and how are your brake pads and rotors wearing. You might not know it but maybe your pad and Rotos maybe wearing faster then normal if you have the OEM spacer.

It has roughly 39k. Pads have not shown an accelerated wear pattern worse on one side than the other, so maybe it was done right by machining the spacer

Sounds like who every installed the covers followed the instructions and installed the new spacer that came with the covers.

If you need measurement of the spacer, I have a NOS set that I havent installed on my 89 VR yet and would be happy to measure the spacer for you. I had posted the instructions that come with the rotor covers in an earlier post, http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66503, I hope this helps. I also just noticed in the part list at the end of the instructions it list the measurements for the spacer in question.

Rick F.

If you need measurement of the spacer, I have a NOS set that I havent installed on my 89 VR yet and would be happy to measure the spacer for you. I had posted the instructions that come with the rotor covers in an earlier post, http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66503, I hope this helps.

Rick F.

That would be very helpful in milling the correct size. If you could the sooner the better for my spacers are being milled today.

Thank you for both the measurement and the installation instructions.

Here is the measurements of a virgin spacer fresh out of the package.

over all length is .85 inches

the length of the bigger diameter is .48 inches

length of smaller diameter is .37 inches

bigger diameter is 1.10 inches

small diameter is 1.06 inches

the bore in the spacer has a diameter of .67 inches.

I hope this helps.

Rick F.

If .912 is the origional spacer and .85 is the replacement spacer, then the difference is .062

He said he took of 1/8 or .125 from the origional spacer.

hmm......

Well I'll be taking the shorten spacer to him today for measurement to subtract from the .85 to mill the additional spacer needed.

Will report back my findings.

The bore was straight thru with no step. I measured both ends of the axle bore just to make sure of that. All measurements were done with a Harbor Freight digital caliper and I did zero it out a couple times to verify all the measurements taken. I dont have an axle available to measure so I am not sure of diameter of that.

I hope that helps.

Rick F.

If .912 is the origional spacer and .85 is the replacement spacer, then the difference is .062

He said he took of 1/8 or .125 from the origional spacer.

hmm......

Well I'll be taking the shorten spacer to him today for measurement to subtract from the .85 to mill the additional spacer needed.

Will report back my findings.

So .062 is 1/2 of .125. Maybe instead of 2 times the width of 1 roto cover, only a single width of the rotor cover should have been taken off.

Anyone understand why only 1 width of the roto cover shold have been taken off?

So .062 is 1/2 of .125. Maybe instead of 2 times the width of 1 roto cover, only a single width of the rotor cover should have been taken off.

Anyone understand why only 1 width of the roto cover shold have been taken off?

So I was thinking about this as I was driving to my machinest friend and it just hit me. Probably the reason the replacement spacer is only 1/16 or .0625 shorter than the OEM spacer is for the exact reason to keep the rotor cover from rubbing against the bolt heads that holds the actual rotor unto the wheel assembly.

My machinest friend made a brilliant suggestion and that is rather than milling a washer 1/16 thick, he is going to just mill a new spacer length of .85 in lengh for the collar is removeable. What a simple solution when you have the right equiptment.

I put on the new milled spacer. He made it out of harden stainless steel. It fit perfect, and worked perfectly. Got it all together and with 75 ft lbs the front wheel spun freely.

Now I then put on the left calipar and it seems to be draging then I put the right calipar and it drug some more.

I figure I'd take it for a short ride. The brakes loosen up some. Th Front wheel still does not spin freely. Think I will start a new thread asking presenting the senerio.

• 1 year later...

Old thread, but maybe someone can help.

I milled my spacer to roughly .857.

The wheel spins freely, but the heads of the rotor bolts drag on the cover on the right side. If I shim the spacer with a washer, it will hold the cover off so it does not drag. But, that is just like I used the original spacer. What should I do?

Thanks

Aaron

Mn