IGNORED

"new" 85 Venture Royale all cleaned up

spitfire9

Bought this bike about a week and a half ago. It was a pathetic, ugly, dirty mess. The windshield was so swirly, I had to look over it on the way home. My wife and I spent about 30 hours disassembling, cleaning, waxing and reassembling. Took it for inspection and the mechanic was impressed at how complete the bike was; all the parts are there. I still have detailing to do on the engine, clutch cover, etc, but it's not too bad. It runs like a top- I call it The Cruise Missile. The more I ride it, the more I like it. Amazing how light all that weight can seem when in motion.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/cyprinut/1985%20Venture%20Royale/finished2.jpg

What # is it? Safe from 2nd gear woes?? Mine started skipping at 19k. Can't remember number that fix was made on. Someone will know. Welcome!!

I could bring mine down and sleep on your couch for 30 hrs if you would make it look like that...... Mine was so dirty and ugly when I first saw it that its name is "UGLY" Be carefull keeping that front wheel on the ground!!

Ya, I went to look to make sure Scamper was where I left it, then I noticed the backrest and the rear light bar that scamper don't have.

Real nice looking scoot, one of a kind for sure.

Noticed that you are missing the shiny lower side covers though, I have a few left, mirrored stainless, if you think you might need them.

Beautiful bike! The Gen 1 VR is an addiction. My '85 looked almost exactly like yours after I cleaned it up. Probably looked like yours before I cleaned it up. I have made many changes since falling for my 'cruise missile'. :)

If you have E2 tires, I recommend changing them very soon. They are very old and mine would violently jump when changing lanes on the interstate. :080402gudl_prv:

Thanks everybody. About the tires- yes I hate the dunlops on it. The front end does weird stuff sometimes on curves. I thought the head was loose until I realized it seemed pavement dependant. A pair of Metzlers on the way already.

Shiny parts missing? Ooh I need those. :shock3: Where are the located on the bike? Marcal definately interested. PM me.

Yammer I haven't had any problems with 2nd gear, but I've only ridden it a few hundred miles. It has 42k on it. I put Mobil 1 racing 4T 10w-40 in it and it shifts like butter though now. Can check VIN- is that where I find # you refer to?

Edited by spitfire9
more questions

If the last 4 numbers of your vin are higher than 1413 you have nothing to worry about. If not there is a bunch of info on here for 2nd gear fix. Requires removing engine and splitting case. I didn't get lucky. Mine started jumping out of gear at 19k but it will still bring front tire up when I hit 2nd.

After you ride it a while this won't scare you so much. Lot of threads here about it. It will sooner or later start to "pop" under hard throttle in 2nd. I don't think babying it will help any. The one I ran the hardest lasted the longest. But its not that bad. We can get you thru it.

Thx Carl, those look real nice. Much better than the blk plastic. If u have some in a couple weeks still I will have the cash to spare. My one concern is about adding all that xtra weight! :rotf:

If you have the black plastic vents there they are nice. After they get broken up and you can't patch anymore Carl's are a nice way to go. Or if you just like the shiney things..:whistling:

Disreguard!! I was thinking of wrong part!!! Carls are very nice here.

Edited by Yammer Dan

A pair of Metzlers on the way already.

Welcome to the site. Not sure the before picture but the after looks real nice.

ON the tires, please do a few searches on this site about the Metzlers before you install them. Even if you have used them for years.

Brad

Thx Carl, those look real nice. Much better than the blk plastic. If u have some in a couple weeks still I will have the cash to spare. My one concern is about adding all that xtra weight! :rotf:

Anytime you are ready, just let me know and they'll be on the way.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's a good lookin' ride. It's amazing what a little elbow grease and TLC will do, huh! The guy I bought my '99 from said it had been kept in a garage/shed and not been started for about 3 years. He said it looked pretty sad when he brought it home, mouse beds in the fairing and under the tank, bird droppings, dirt and all, and it cleaned up fine. I always thought the white-letter Dunlops looked cool too. Congrats!!