IGNORED

Ride on dried up!!

frankd

I went to change the rear tire on the '83 for my brother, and when I finally got the tire off the rim, I saw that the Ride-On in the tire had dried up and turned into a big mess.

First when I went to break the bead loose, it was much harder than normal to break, and when it finally gave in, a big cloud of dust came out of the tire. It seemed that the Ride-On had glued the tire to the rim.

I worked on cleaning the rim with water and a wire brush, but the Ride-On didn't disolve comletely. Anybody have any ideas on what to use to help clean up the rim? On the Ride-On web site, they say that it wont dry up, but obviously they aren't telling the complete truth. In their defense, the Avon tire has been on the bike for 8 years and 22,000 miles, but......

Those pictures look real familiar, I had the exact same experience two years ago scotch bright pad and alot of elbow grease with soap and water. May have been Slime instead of ride on they say to replace it every two years.

Edited by etcswjoe

Had the same thing happen, only in the tire about a year, got a wire in the tire just off of center, and the rude on didn`t work... it only covered the center 1.5in of the tire, oxidized the rim real bad, had to put a wire wheel on a drill to clean things up...

Saw Ride On in my tire after 3 years and the ride-on was perfect and still

pink in color when I had my change out done. Maybe 8 years is to long

for it ? Do you know for a fact that it was really ride-on in that tire?:whistling:

there also was nothing on or in my rim as well. it should not go to the rim.

Yes, it was Ride-On, I know because I put it in. Their web site says that the life in the bottle is 3 years, and after you install it in the tires, it's good for 5 years. 2 years ago, I changed the front tire and the Ride-On (6 years in the tire) was somewhat dried, but nowhere as bad as the rear. If it turns this bad after 5 years, why don't they tell you. I know, nobody would use it.

Yes, 8 years on a tire is a long time. I had a couple of low mileage years on it, and then I gave it to my brother who only put about 3000 miles on it the last 2 years. BTW, the Avon was not cracked at all, just worn out.

Just day dreaming here, but I wonder if... when inflating the tire..... the air is run through a dryer on the compressor. Like if it was used for spray painting. And the air should have some moisture in it??? Does that make sense??? :confused07::confused07:

Boy, next time I will take a photo when I do my next tire change. what I saw was the ride-on was perfectly conformed on the inside of the tire only just up to the side walls and nothing on the rims inside. even the dealer that did it was impressed with how it looks.

it is also water soluble , he said that it was way better then the mess's he deals with folks using slime.

I myself use it in all our auto's and show cars.

Jeff

Just day dreaming here, but I wonder if... when inflating the tire..... the air is run through a dryer on the compressor. Like if it was used for spray painting. And the air should have some moisture in it??? Does that make sense??? :confused07::confused07:

I was just going to say the same thing. I used Ride-On for years and had the same experience with it drying, just not as bad as frankd's wheel. Scotch Brite, acetone and tons of elbow grease. And it did corrode some of the bead area. I now use bead sealer when mounting a new tire. When I checked, my personal air compressor was shooting moisture out the nozzle, something I never noticed before. I now drain the tank regularly. And I stopped using Ride-On. Not saying its a bad product as it has served me well in the past. But you really do need to wipe it out of the rim between tire changes and insure that only "dry" air is used. Now that would be hard to do if you air up at different locations.

I just got off the phone with a Ride-On engineer, and he says that about 6 years ago, they discovered that their current product reacted with the release compounds that some of the tire manufacturers used, and broke down. Since then, they've changed their formula and now there is no problem with Ride-On. He went on to say that the orange colored Ride-On is the new stuff, and the older formula is lavender color. I'm thinking that I may want to give it a second chance, escpecially because it's not because the Ride-ON just got old and dried. It is comforting to have Ride-On in your tires when you are on a trip.

Frank

Yep, mine was the lavender one too. Good to hear of the new formula. But, remember, you cant use this stuff if you use Dyna Beads for balancing.

Makes a lot of sense...especially since most people seldom drain their tank or tanks and the amount of water in the public coin operated air pumps. I've never studied their product or if they mention anything about water contamination. They used to say equal in semi tires didn't mix well with water or moisture.

I too had a similar experience with RIDE ON.

I put it in my tires in 2007 prior to a cross country tour. No problems with bike or tires on the tour and I forgot about it being in there. Thirty thousand miles and five years later I needed new tires. What a mess. The RIDE ON had turned into a rock hard glaze type material. I had to scrape with a putty knife and sand with 80 grit to get it loose and cleaned off the wheel. There was a lot of pitting and corrosion and discoloration on the wheel. I finally got it cleaned off well enough to mount a new tire. Luckily the new tire still sealed and holds air just fine. I would never put RIDE ON in my tires again.

It may be just fine if you only left it in a year or so, don't know. All I know is that I would recommend against using it in a touring bike tire that iwll be in use for longer than that.

Just my two cents,

Red Baron

Thirty thousand miles and five years later I needed new tires.

the Avon tire has been on the bike for 8 years and 22,000 miles,

I can't even imagine these numbers. How the heck do you get 22-30K on a set of MC tires?

I get 11-12K on a set and it sure dosn't take 5-8 years to do it. If I had a tire on any vehicle that long I'd change it because of it's age.

Does "Ride on" extend your mileage that much?

I can't even imagine these numbers. How the heck do you get 22-30K on a set of MC tires?

I get 11-12K on a set and it sure dosn't take 5-8 years to do it. If I had a tire on any vehicle that long I'd change it because of it's age.

Does "Ride on" extend your mileage that much?

I got 24K out of the last set of Venoms with no ride on only took me 18 months.

I changed rear tire yesterday, which I put a bottle of ride on in , Aug, of 2008.

So, about 3 1/2 years, and 17,600 miles. (( an E3 ))

Anyway, The residue was not to bad, 90 percent of it washed off with a Garden Hose.

I went over the rim with a fine rotary wire brush, took about 10 min to clean it up.

New tire installed, and I will put in another bottle of " Ride On "

What pressure do you run Joe?

Do you ride 2 up?

Do you pull a trailer?

I get similar mileage (11-12K) on my VTX also. Tire brand makes little differance.

Only a couple thousand of that was with a trailer and about 25% 2up and 42 PSI front 46 rear

When I used to run Dunlop Elite II's, I got about 22-24,000 miles on them. By then they didn't handle the greatest, and the back tire was noisy in turns, but they lasted.

With Avon's I found they lasted about the same, but handled a lot better and were much quieter when they were worn.

I don't always get that life though.....When I bought the 89, it had a Dunlop 404 on the rear and @ 9,000 miles it was shot. I installed an Avon, and things were fine until it attracted a nail. We wanted to leave on a trip, so the only tire I could find was a Dunlop 591, which is made for a Harley. I've got about 9,000 miles on it, and it probably has another 2,000 left. We're leaving on a trip in 3 weeks, so the bike will have a new Avon on it when we leave. I've got a spare back wheel, so I'm planning on putting the Avon on the spare wheel, and then swapping back to the 591 when we get home. We'll see if I get that carried away.

On the front of the 89, a Bridgestone was installed a year before I bought the bike. The PO and I put about 26,000 miles on it....it's still not really worn out, but since I've had it it's handled bad... No precision in the turns and unstable at high speed. Tire brands and types do make a big difference. I installed an Avon, and now it's a different bike.

Frank

• 4 years later...

So this was just posted oveer on the Victory Fourms. Wondering if lately anybody has had issues.

RideOn Tire Sealant - Balancer after 1.5 years

I had the rear tire changed out last weekend. The RideOn sealant/balancer had separated into clear slime and globs of waxy-gummy stuff.

Anyone have similar results with this product? Miles were 8K since installation.