I might be one of the few people who have vents on side covers and fairings that are still intact. My question is what did Yamaha do to create some resistance on the vents to hold them in place? It seems the vents have a mind of their own. When I don't want heat, those open. When I want some cool air, those ones shut on me.

Any help would be appreciated before I try to rig something up.:confused24:

I don't have the vents in the side covers on mine, I have the chrome inserts...... But I had the same problem with the vents on the lowers by my knees. They were always popping closed. It's just a wear issue. The plastic just wears down.

But.... I was was at Wally World one day and saw the small air freshners that look like a small cloths pin. The ones that clip into the air conditioning vents.....

Snapped them into the louvers and they hold them where you want them.

Cheap and easy, not to mention I smell like ice cream in the summer now. (Use with caution. Attracts all kinds of odd ice cream loving critters)

Mike

Most side panel vents have a small bolt hole near the control knob. I fashioned a steel detent from the metal (child protection) from a BIC lighter... just pry the wind shield off the lighter and pull the steel protector out... fashion another bend near the end of the curved edge to "catch" on the detent and bolt it down... trial an error are needed here to get the right dentent pressure.

You can probably fashion something similar for the knee vents. The steel needs to have a good "spring" to it and these seem to fit the bill.

Most side panel vents have a small bolt hole near the control knob. I fashioned a steel detent from the metal (child protection) from a BIC lighter... just pry the wind shield off the lighter and pull the steel protector out... fashion another bend near the end of the curved edge to "catch" on the detent and bolt it down... trial an error are needed here to get the right dentent pressure.

You can probably fashion something similar for the knee vents. The steel needs to have a good "spring" to it and these seem to fit the bill.

That's a good idea. Just getting something to hold them open only takes care of half the problem, need to keep shut too.

For my side cover vents I used a tie wrap and used a screw in the head part and and screwed it in the boss on the back side of the vent and then cut the strap to hit the indents on the back side of the vent. This provides the resistance needed to hold them in the position you set them in.

I hope this helps.

Rick F.

I don't have the vents in the side covers on mine, I have the chrome inserts...... But I had the same problem with the vents on the lowers by my knees. They were always popping closed. It's just a wear issue. The plastic just wears down.

But.... I was was at Wally World one day and saw the small air freshners that look like a small cloths pin. The ones that clip into the air conditioning vents.....

Snapped them into the louvers and they hold them where you want them.

Cheap and easy, not to mention I smell like ice cream in the summer now. (Use with caution. Attracts all kinds of odd ice cream loving critters)

Mike

I hope you weren't referring to Big Tom with that remark!!!!!:witch_brew:

I have an 85 and mine have a piece of spring steel thats been curved to hold the wheel in place, i believe they came from the factory with this piece ? Do you still have the place to ancor a screw, it would be by the adjuster wheel, let me kniow and if you do i can tryto make something that will work for you.

I have an 85 and mine have a piece of spring steel thats been curved to hold the wheel in place, i believe they came from the factory with this piece ? Do you still have the place to ancor a screw, it would be by the adjuster wheel, let me kniow and if you do i can tryto make something that will work for you.

Yes the boss is there to anchor a screw but no factory parts that you speak of. I'm going to look at work today for something that might work.

I put a small dab of CA glue on the wholes that the vanes snap into. If you put just the right amount on, that's all you need to do. If you get a bit to much, ream the correct size drill bit. If you use a tooth pick to put the glue on, it helps too.

Bill

That's a good idea. Just getting something to hold them open only takes care of half the problem, need to keep shut too.

They actually came with a spring indent when new, however I haven't seen to many still attached. Haven't got a clue as to what causes them to disappear. :confused07:

I used a piece of cable zip tie.

Cut to length with a small sheet metal screw to hold in place. It is flexible enough to allow you to adjust the louvers to whereever you want them and strong enough to hold them in place.

There used to be some photo's on it on here buy they may have been lost in the big crash a few years ago.

:mytruck1:

My 84 didn't come with vents or covers. Since the VR is water cooled there really is no need to have those open for air (unless you like the heat).

Since the heat is unbearable in the summer, I decided to make my own covers using ABS sheets I found at Home Depot. I think I paid $12 for the sheet. I traced the opening on the sheet of ABS, painted it & plastic welded it in place.

Heat is no longer a problem for me.

picture.php?albumid=1026&pictureid=6416

Ended up trying the zip strip/cable tie method. Seems to work well, rough side against wheel provides good resistance. Have yet to try it out on road, also not sure how the nylon will hold up to engine heat. If it works, great! If it doesn't work, I'm not out any $.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x337/steve_roseman/Venture/vent.jpg