IGNORED

possible short

I had a friend give me a 1988 venture royal. It hasnt ran in a couple of years, after some good cleaning and fresh gas and oil i have it fired up and running. I am having a problem with the battery draining down and going dead over night. and all light work except the head light. the bulb is good just not getting any power to it. checked the high low beam switch and not getting any power there either. Ive chexked all the fuses i can find and they are all fine. Im not sure if the two problems i have are related or not. Any helpful hints on where to look next would be great.. thanks for reading my post.

Is this the old battery or a new one? Charge the battery up and test the cells. a weak or bad cell can cause the problem you are describing. An alternate method is to charge the battery and disconnect it from the bike overnight. If it is low in the morning it is the battery. If not it is time for a parasitic draw test.

Mike

all light work except the head light. the bulb is good just not getting any power to it. checked the high low beam switch and not getting any power there either.

1. clean the starter pushbutton contacts, These contacts open during start and sometimes do not make contact when button is released.

2. If 1 did not work, probably problem internal the CMU dash display unit. Power for headlight runs thru here, and cold soldier joints are known issue. Reflow soldier works well.

I had a friend give me a 1988 venture royal. It hasnt ran in a couple of years, after some good cleaning and fresh gas and oil i have it fired up and running. I am having a problem with the battery draining down and going dead over night. and all light work except the head light. the bulb is good just not getting any power to it. checked the high low beam switch and not getting any power there either. Ive chexked all the fuses i can find and they are all fine. Im not sure if the two problems i have are related or not. Any helpful hints on where to look next would be great.. thanks for reading my post.

Here is thread on cleaning throttle side switch.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42433

Check that the fuses are snug in the holders on both ends. Metal fatigue has caused a lot of problems .

Gary