IGNORED

tire mounting

Holly

Just took me about 45 minutes to hand dismount and mount car tire, pressure maybe got to 50. Took a drill with wire brush and smoothed out and cleaned rim. Got some real slimey goop from tire shop and went very easy. Now hard part getting them balanced and put back on, then ride it like it was stolen.

:bluesbrother:

Well I have put a few more miles on now, not near what I want to, no wobble at 100, braking feels better, and I think the speedo is closer to true now. Also put a Kenda Kruz on the front, not what I wanted but son-in-law knew I was putting it on the front so he ordered a front not the rear I asked for.

Will be taking a quick trip to Albert Lea this morning to meet my son. Will know when I get back how the combo works at interstate speeds.

Well I have put a few more miles on now, not near what I want to, no wobble at 100, braking feels better, and I think the speedo is closer to true now. Also put a Kenda Kruz on the front, not what I wanted but son-in-law knew I was putting it on the front so he ordered a front not the rear I asked for.

Will be taking a quick trip to Albert Lea this morning to meet my son. Will know when I get back how the combo works at interstate speeds.

Well when I first read your post here, I thought," Why worry about interstate speed when you ran 100 mph," then I re-read your post and see that you meant 100 more miles and no wobble.

I am sorry you all, but you have more nerve than me. I am thinking that a car tire is designed to run flat on the black top, or somewhat. A motorcycle tire is designed for curves and leaning well into the side walls. But you all are putting 20,000 mile or so on a set of them from what I gather. And sounds like they are safe from what I have read a couple year ago, but still I just could not do it with out talking to some tire engineer and getting some more tire manufacturing facts.

Are you putting them on the front also ? Just wondering. I just put a new set of Avon Venoms on yesterday and I love these tires. Over 12,400 on the last set.

I say you do what you like, not my business. Not bashing what your doing, just sounds unlikely that it would work properly at all riding conditions. :confused24:

What is the main reasoning of doing the car tires ? Mileage maybe/cost. Or better tires all the way around ?

Fuzzy :thumbsup2: :confused24:

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

Fuzzy

The main reason for me is economic, $55 vs $150, hopefully many more miles, and to me, mc tires do not have enough of a tread pattern to run safely in the rain. So far what I have found is about 90% of the time you will not know the difference. When I did lean it over for a sharper curve I did feel the tire was on it's edge, but I don't really do the "peg scraping" thing with this bike, so it should be fine for me.

If I don't replace this tire with another ct, I will be looking at all the mc tires and see if I can find one with a good tread pattern.

Fuzzy

The main reason for me is economic, $55 vs $150, hopefully many more miles, and to me, mc tires do not have enough of a tread pattern to run safely in the rain. So far what I have found is about 90% of the time you will not know the difference. When I did lean it over for a sharper curve I did feel the tire was on it's edge, but I don't really do the "peg scraping" thing with this bike, so it should be fine for me.

If I don't replace this tire with another ct, I will be looking at all the mc tires and see if I can find one with a good tread pattern.

Thanks, OK, but do you also put them on the front ? That is a big price difference, I was thinking that a good car tire would be around the same price.

I can tell you for a fact that the Avon Venoms are the best for me in rain and also do not track like other MT I have used. Not mentioning other brands other than the Avon.

V7Goose has a good thread, or maybe two or three, some where here concerning different tire brands he tried. Very good read. Would recommend it for you. I will see if can find it.

I have a lot of confidence in anything that Goose posts. Sometimes he gives us a hard time, in a good way, because we know no better, but we really like his help around here. Have not sen much of my fine feathered friend lately on the site. Hope all is well with him.

Here is one I found.

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22152&page=3

Fuzzy :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

• 1 month later...