IGNORED

Front brake switch blues

Guest Dave Rogge

Guest Dave Rogge

My '83 Royale with cruise fried the plunger on the brake light switch. I mistakenly ordered the two wire switch, when,of course, I NEED the four wire switch. Given that the four wire switch is several times the cost of the two wire switch, is there some way to use the two wires for the brake light, and do something else with the other two wires to fool the cruise into working?

Possibly tying them together to complete the circuit, or applying 12V to one or the other?

Any help greatly appreciated!

I do not have cruise on my strd 83, so not real famiular with operation, but I would advise against "tricking" cruise into working in a manner that could not be disengaged in an emergency.

Having said that, and not examining wiring for 83 cruise, I would think it would be possible to "hook both cruise wires together" in the switch column, and cut them further down in the wire harness where you would have room to mount a relay.

A relay could be wired with the 'cruise' wires accross the N.C. contacts, and the front brake switch activates the relay coil. This would allow the relay to preform the same action during front brake activation as if the switch actually had 2 sets of contacts

1-N.O. for brakes

2-N.C for cruise

(assuming these are the contacts of the 4 wire switch, diagram unseen)

edit- cant find wiring diagram of 83 w cruise so looking at 86

You could connect the N.C. wires G/Y and B/W together

Then find the B/W wire on the way to, or at, the cruise switch and cut it

Then wire both sides of cut B/W to N.C. contacts of relay

Y wire from front brake in harness would be + on relay coil, add wire to frame ground for - on relay coil

Take and save good notes of mod for future troubleshooting

Edited by bkuhr

I am fairly sure that the 83's didn't come with factory cruise.

I think the poster had a post a week ago about the bike having an 88-89 brake switch on it. If this is the case, the bikes wiring harness has either been replaced with a cruise version or there are spare wires ran all over to get the cruise working.

Does the bike have a key surround that has a push button & three indicator lights on it (86-93 version), or is there a single indicator light on the face of the tach (84-85 version)?

Either way, the switches are interchangeable from an 84 to a 93. The clutch switch and front brake switches should interchange, I think the only difference is the wire color coding.

The air pump and cruise module are different on the 84/85 from the 86/93 versions. Also, the throttle grip cruise controls are different between the 2 styles.

Gary

Guest Dave Rogge

The cruise indicator light is built into the tach, and the control is on the right handle bar switch.

If this didn't come with factory cruise, someone went to a lot of trouble to install it. I guess I'll bite the bullet and buy the four wire switch. The best price I came up with for the four wire was $79 on E-bay. Yamaha dealers are anywhere from $115 to $160. Any better sources that you know of?

Thanks for your help

Dave

The cruise indicator light is built into the tach, and the control is on the right handle bar switch.

If this didn't come with factory cruise, someone went to a lot of trouble to install it. I guess I'll bite the bullet and buy the four wire switch. The best price I came up with for the four wire was $79 on E-bay. Yamaha dealers are anywhere from $115 to $160. Any better sources that you know of?

Thanks for your help

Dave

Out of curiosity, where is your choke located ?

Is it under the left side switch housing or is it around the hand grip ?

I have a Venture I bought a few weeks ago that is titled as an 83, but it has all the charecteristics of an 84, and it is not the only one that is known to be like this.

Gary

Guest Dave Rogge

The choke on mine is the ring between the grip and the switch housing on the left side. I'll have to check the info plate to make sure of the year. It's the Alluvial gold color, if that makes a difference