IGNORED

Coping RLS?

a1bummer

Anybody else here have Restless Leg Syndrome? What do you take for it or what do you do to help cope with it? I've been on Tramadol for quite some time and it worked well for me. It as also very cheap. But now it has been giving me migranes. So now I either deal with migranes, or I don't get any sleep.

Thanks,

Bill

The restless leg syndrome your experiencing is actually withdrawals from the hydrocodone (Vicodin).As maybe the headaches,stomach cramps and feeling tired all the time

Tramadol is a made from the same stuff. If you quite altogether expect 5 days to 10 days of complete insomnia. I mean no sleep but maybe 2 hours a day. It takes about 20 days to get back to normal. I have been thru it a couple of times. You may need to talk to your doc about Sudone (something like that).But it is physically addicting also

Edited by BuddyRich

Just to let you know what your in for.

The first day you stop altogether you'll be tired that night.

The second day you'll get some stomach cramping and body aches. That night the RLS will start. You won't be able to get comfortable and get to sleep. The third day the hebejeebees start. That's what I call it. Its a rough time of feeling like your wrapped in tight gauze and cant' get it off. You have the feeling all the time you want to toss off a heavy coat but are sitting there in a t-shirt. That goes on for a couple of days and the no sleep continues. After they stop you'll begin to get some sleep but expect 2 weeks of horrible nights of sleep. About the third week you'll start to feel normal again. At the fourth week you should be clean and have your normal sleep and normal dreams back. None of these will be life threatening but they are no fun.

I kept the CPAP (8 yrs & counting) but quit the meds after 1 yr. Klonopin was the Rx they prescribed for RLS. It's enough of a compromise to keep us in the same bed. Seems like one pill lead to another & another... Got fed up with "the system" and decided life ain't perfect. Now I just live with it.

Edited by Venture n Dixie
Forgot to name the Rx

just found out that i have got rls. Dr put me on mirapex or the generic is pramipexole. I've been out of work for eight weeks due to having problems staying awake which is huge for me being that i drive a 18 wheeler. i had over 900 leg movements in a eight hour sleep steady and 53 of them woke me up. the wife says there better but still moving some. hope this helps.:bluesbrother:

Years ago my Dad went to the Doc for RLS symptoms, The Doc was seriously an old timer and he didn't believe too much in some of the modern day diagnosis and pharmaceuticals. He told my dad to eat a banana or a few grapefruit slices and drink a glass of quinine water before bed as the kicking and jerking were the result of a chemical imbalance in the muscles. He just said don't overdue the grapefruit as too much potassium is not good for older folks but a little is good. The quinine had something to do with thyroid enzymes if I remember correctly. It worked great for him, but who knows. The cost and the risk were worth a try, especially if you are miserable enough to seek medical attention. :backinmyday:

I have RLS and ate bananas and took calcium tabs etyc but it was still there

My Dr put me on Ropinirol (Requip) once a day and it works great for me.

Sure is nice to get a real nights sleep and not be trying to kick my Sweetie

out of the bed all nite.