IGNORED

Tiny Bit Of Tire Slippage....

Midicat

I'm out for a spin yesterday and lovin' the warm weather and country back roads. And I notice this happening a few times during the ride. Starting out from an intersection, turning right or left, clear road (no sand, gravel, road kill) the rear tire slips its grip. Just a little, but noticeable.

I'm not what you would call a hard rider. You won't find me scrapping pegs on turns. So I'm thinking because I don't use the outside edge of the tire except maybe on turns from intersections, the grip is lost due to lack of use. My question is: Would it be a good idea to rough up the outside edge of the tire with sand paper to get the rubber to grip better? Has anyone tried this or had experience with it? I just figure that it sounds logical. Of course, I watched the Leafs this year. Don't know why. :confused24:

Thomas

What is the date on the tire. You can find the date stamp in an oval pressed into the side wall of the tire.

Maybe what you are experiencing is a flat spot, or maybe better said a ridge on your rear tire. If you don't lean much the rear tire tends to get flat area in the center and then when you take a corner it flops over the ridge onto the side tread. You might mistake this for slippage.

I notice that every spring.

The tire gets a layer of oxidation while sitting over the winter. I just take it easy for the first 100 miles till I wear the tires back in. Work gradually on building up your lean angle to wear the sides of the tire back in.

As Jeff said, under some conditions you will get a bit of a "coating" developing on certain parts of the tire...principally those areas that don't get a lot of use. I've had this happen a couple of times as well. A bit of roughing up with some sandpaper after a clean up with some alcohol will usually reduce the problem until you've ridden it a bit. Based on your location, there are a number of winding roads nearby that you could use to "roughen" up your tires' edges before winter storage. This will also help, in my experience. And of course, you can just take things easy for those first few spring rides till the tires get worn in again. Great excuse to get out more and we can always use those, right?

Andy