Hello It has been awhile since I've been here but I have a problem! My 01 RSV has no horn working. I installed a stebel horn last year and it has been working fine today I noticed I had no horn. Anyone that can help please reply.

Thanks

Edited by Whitlow

Hello It has been awhile since I've been here but I have a problem! My 01 RSV has no horn working. I installed a stebel horn last year and it has been working fine today I noticed I had no horn. Anyone that can help please reply.

Thanks

How do you have the Stebel wired up?

hot wire from battery to relay relay to horn and wires from stock horn to relay it was working until today now no horn at all.

Just start tracing it with a volt meter from the battery to relay, relay from horn switch power, you'll find it. :detective:

I had mine first hooked up to the acces 12V power under the seat. That eventually blew because it's only a 5A fuse. Now hooked to battery with 10A fuse and using the acces 12V for GPS.

So now when you push the button, is there power at the horn,,, unhook the wires from the horn to test this.

Does the relay "click"? If not, the contacts in the button on the handlebars may not be making a good ground. Yes, The horn button makes a "ground" to complete the circuit.

Normally you need to start at the battery and work you way down to the horn itself. Power from battery thru the fuse to the #30 post of the relay? Good ground at the 85 post of the relay? Does the relay have voltage at the 87 post when the horn button is applied? Will the horn sound if direct battery voltage is applied to the + post of the horn? If yes to all of thise there may be an open in the circuit of the bikes wiring. As noted check the horn button and the stock horn wire connections at the Steble to be sure you're getting a good contact /connection there.

Larry

Brown wire = power to horn circuit - hooks to terminal 85 (or 86) on relay

Pink wire = ground (through Horn Button) - hooks to terminal 86 (or 85) on relay

A fused hot wire from the battery goes to terminal 30 on the relay

From terminal 87 on the relay to the (+) post on the Stebel

From the (-) on the Stebel run a wire to ground.

My personal preference is to disconnect the factory wiring from the horn in the left lower and also run a wire from the 87 relay terminal to one terminal on that horn and then run a short wire from the other terminal on that horn to a suitable ground location. I used one of the horn mounting bolts.

My :2cents:

Hi.

Does the relay 'click' in and out when you press the horn button on the bars?

If it doesn't I would suspect the contacts on the horn button or its wiring. More so the button.

I had this problem on a regular basis with my '99 RSV until I found that every time I washed the bike water got in to the handle bar switch and flooded the contacts and over time they corroded, albeit very slightly but enough to stop the relay energising when pressed.

I stripped the switch, bit fiddley with small parts and found the silver contacts for the horn button blackened and not making a very good contact. I polished the contacts up and serviced the other switches with a bit of WD 40 and some fresh contact grease on the other moving parts within the switch and then put it all back together.... No further problems.

OH and I cover BOTH the handlebar switches when I wash the bike.

Best wishes.

Neil. Oldminer.:backinmyday:

Edited by Old Miner
More info.

Posts appear to indicate wiring as pictured. I would suspect problem with horn button circuit. Try a ground jumper wire on the OE horn-make sure to get the -side or blow fuse, probably set of the stebils also.(key on)

I took the handle bar switch apart I did wash the bike a week or so ago. Everything was dry but the contacts on the horn button were black. I cleaned them well and put everything back together and still no horn! I do not hear the relay clicking when I push the horn button.

Edited by Whitlow

I put power to the horn and it works! I checked the wires to the horn they both have 11.8 volts brown and pink when I put ground to frame and check them. When I push the horn button the volts stay the same so is it the horn switch?

Edited by Whitlow