IGNORED

Finally got my Gen I tool kit!

dynodon

When I got my '86 VR about 6 years ago, it was missing some things like the owners manual, cover for the Cassette, tool kit. I found most everything except the tool kit. Oh several of them showed up on E-bay, but I always lost out....TO THE SAME PERSON! yes, someone was hogging kits and cornering the market on VR tool kits. Now these are cool, with the VR logo, and more than just base tools, including a ratchet and socket set, but wow, this guy was bidding $200 and more sometimes for these things. I eventually gave up, bought a kit from another Yamaha and made up my own kit.

then a couple weeks ago, I saw a nearly perfect complete kit on E-bay and decided to try. Got it for more money that it should cost for sure, but still less than those top bids a few years ago! :cool10:

So now my quest is complete, now I just need to get the bike running its best again! and fix a leak, and.........:bang head:

Anyone happen to know that E-bay'er that bought all those tool kits?:confused24:

Sorry, Mike, unfortunately no riding Time for me over the last three Months. But at least, the Cause of my Weak- and Illness was identified Thursday before Easter as a bad Tooth. I'm getting better better now, due to herbal Stock, but i have to undergo Dental Surgery someday the next 3 to 5 Weeks, 3 Days in Hospital. Definetely no funny Outlook for anybody, much more undesireable for me, but hey, i'll try getting over that. I have to.

Just curious, did you get the tire gauge also?

And do you have a "Sales Brochure" for the 1986 model year?

How about a cover?

That could make it almost complete.:stirthepot:

BOO

When I got my '86 VR about 6 years ago, it was missing some things like the owners manual, cover for the Cassette, tool kit. I found most everything except the tool kit. Oh several of them showed up on E-bay, but I always lost out....TO THE SAME PERSON! yes, someone was hogging kits and cornering the market on VR tool kits. Now these are cool, with the VR logo, and more than just base tools, including a ratchet and socket set, but wow, this guy was bidding $200 and more sometimes for these things. I eventually gave up, bought a kit from another Yamaha and made up my own kit.

then a couple weeks ago, I saw a nearly perfect complete kit on E-bay and decided to try. Got it for more money that it should cost for sure, but still less than those top bids a few years ago! :cool10:

So now my quest is complete, now I just need to get the bike running its best again! and fix a leak, and.........:bang head:

Anyone happen to know that E-bay'er that bought all those tool kits?:confused24:

Boo, Yes, the kit included the tire gauge, I was shocked! I did not go after a sales brochure, I do that for my old cars, but not bikes for some reason. Also, no factory cover. The bike had a cover, but a nice older generic one.

BTW, I had bought a used Cassette cover on E-bay and paid a ton for it, and it was showing some scratches (NOT misrepresented though). I was showing it to someone before a ride, and must not have gotten it clipped all the way in and it blew off when I wasn't looking, went back but couldn't find it. So I took a chance and WOW, Yamaha had them new for less than I paid for one used on e-bay so I ordered a new one. Still have it.

Took me a long time to find the passenger controls for the sound system.

The 1986 I had was the black/copper or whatever it is called and I bought it used. All the stuff came with it. A Celebrity in Chicago owned it and had bought a lot of the Yamaha stuff.

I have a sales brochure for the 1986 model if you would like to have it. Just PM your address and I will get it off to you at no charge. The picture on it shows the Maroon two tone and that may have been the only brochure they had, I really don't know. I use to have a brochure that showed all the accessories for that model year but I don't have a clue where it is.

I really liked the First Gens as they are called and probably put close to 250,000 miles on the three I owned but I am really in love with the 01 RSV I have now. Fits my riding style and it a great bike. My mileage is getting less as I get older but I've put about 50,000 or so on this bike in the last 5 years.

Have fun,

BOO

Boo, Yes, the kit included the tire gauge, I was shocked! I did not go after a sales brochure, I do that for my old cars, but not bikes for some reason. Also, no factory cover. The bike had a cover, but a nice older generic one.

BTW, I had bought a used Cassette cover on E-bay and paid a ton for it, and it was showing some scratches (NOT misrepresented though). I was showing it to someone before a ride, and must not have gotten it clipped all the way in and it blew off when I wasn't looking, went back but couldn't find it. So I took a chance and WOW, Yamaha had them new for less than I paid for one used on e-bay so I ordered a new one. Still have it.

Took me a long time to find the passenger controls for the sound system.

Don,

That kit that you won was missing the pliers, wasn't it? But, the tire gauge was a plus. My question: What specific size sockets and wrenches were included. I think I have a complete tool kit for my 1990 (except I don't have the air pressure gauge), but I would like to hear what was in your kit to compare.

Kevin, I think it had pliers, but let me look. I can also give you the full contents list. I know it had an adjustable wrench and six sockets, a socket wrench and short extension along with a lot of other stuff. will get back to you tomorrow sometime.

Don,

That kit that you won was missing the pliers, wasn't it? But, the tire gauge was a plus. My question: What specific size sockets and wrenches were included. I think I have a complete tool kit for my 1990 (except I don't have the air pressure gauge), but I would like to hear what was in your kit to compare.

Ya, I would also like to know what a "complete" tool kit consists of.

Thanks

Bill

Ok, here is what I got in the kit I bought recently:

Venture Royal zippered bag with logo

Yamaha Tire gauge, 0-40 psi with Yamaha logo on strap that holds down flap of black plastic slip cover. Says Yamaha on the dial face on bottom side.

6 3/8" sockets: 19, 17, 14, 12, 10, 8 mm Say Mitoloy on them

8" 3/8" ratchet (no id of any kind), and 3" extension (extension says Mitoloy)

6" long adjustable wrench

single flat type Box wrenches of 27, 22, 19 mm all say Yamaha

double end offset box wrenches of 17-14, 12-10 say Yamaha on one side and made in Japan on the other.

spark plub socket, double hex ends no id or size of any kind

Screwdriver handle (says made in Japan) and three inserts, two phillips (sm and large) and one flat these were rubber banded together, and the rubber band had mostly melted, could have been factory or added by previous owner. inserts have no id or numbers of any kind.

three allen wrenches, 6, 5, 2 mm with size and KKT on the two smaller ones, the bigger one looks to have Loy on it after the size, but looks messed up.

three double ended open end wrenches: 17-14, 12-10, 10-8 say Yamaha on one side

One extension handle that will fit the adjustable wrench and the three flat box wrenches. No id of any kind

All these parts look brand new, never used. zero corrosion. I got lucky!

I understand I may be missing some pliers, if anyone knows of anything else missing, let me know.

:thumbsup2:

Edited by dynodon
wrong size on ratchet and sockets, is 3/8"

Kevin, I think I got the socket set size wrong, it is 3/8" not 1/4" I fixed this in the listing earlier. I will just take the pliers from another kit I have and add to the kit I have, won't be red handles, but I like things to be complete! :) Thanks for the info.

Not sure if 2 or 3 or more allen wrenches is correct. Maybe someone else could help us find out if they have other kits?