IGNORED

Re-Assembling Forks

I finally got the air collars off after soaking in WD40 for about 36 hours. The forks slid out OK. I made a tool that allowed me to disassemble my forks using an eight inch bolt with the nut welded on the end, a couple of extensions, a 15/16" socket, and a little tape.

I had to get the dimensions for this bolt from two different threads. It seems we have a guy on here that wants to describe bolts by their shaft size :shock3: For those others that are sometimes lost (like me), the bolt that fits is 5/8" shaft x 15/16" head.

Now I am trying to re-assemble the forks and the bottom bolt will not start threading into the damping rod. I worked on it for about an hour. Arghhhhhhh:sign67:

Getting the damping rod and oil lock lined up can be a challenge.

It seems easiest if you reinstall the damping rod, spring and spacers in the tube. I like to put the cap on to keep it all from falling back out. Then assemble the oil lock on the end and lower the outer tube over it.

It still probably won't be lined up. I use a pick but you could also stick a piece of stiff wire or small screw driver through the bolt hole to move the end of the damping rod to where it lines up.

Thanks for the input Micarl. It appears I didn't have the thing assembled correctly.

The damping rod is slid into the slider tube before the washer stack and 'top hat' is installed. At this point the assembled tube is installed into the lower section. After a bit of futzing the bottom bolt started and tightened.

Does this sound right? :confused24:

Here is the assembly sequence:

Rebound spring on damper rod

Damper rod and rebound spring through inner fork tube so damping rod protrudes from bottom.

Fork spring, washers and spacers - fork cap loosely installed to hold it together

Invert inner fork tube so damping rod points up.

Install wave washer - flat washer - wave washer on end of damping rod

Install oil lock (top hat?) over damping rod.

Lower outer tube over the assembly and bolt together.

Edited by MiCarl