IGNORED

Front Brake question...

Hello all, I have a quick question on my front brakes.

I am new to my 2007 Midnight Venture, I have owned it for a few months or so. I upgraded from an 1100 Silverado. I am a Dodge Technician so I do have a mechanical background.

I have noticed, 3 or 4 times, when coming to a stop with the front brakes applied, just before it comes to a complete stop it will pull slightly, has happened to the right and to the left, it is not always to the same side. My first thought is it is like only one caliper was grabbing.:confused24:

BUT.. plenty of bikes out there only have one caliper so that really doesn't make sense....

Both front calipers are free and grab the rotor when the lever is pulled. Pads are good. Fluid level is correct and clear in color.

Steering head was properly tightened when I purchased the bike when I did the 1" lowereing of the front in the triple tree, and yes everything in the triple tree is tight and measurements are still the same. Nothing has moved.

I do not have the required pump to adjust the front shock pressure and have never adjusted it, but I have put 3000-4000 miles on the bike since I bought it and I have only just noticed this so I can't see that being the issue...

I have experimented with it a little and at speed it does not show any signs of strange or odd braking.:detective:

This forum and its members comprise a GREAT wealth of knowledge so I figured I would see if anyone has any other idea.

And yup, it's my first post.:cool10:

From your description, it doesn't sound like there's anything critically wrong. The two factors that stand out the most, to me, are the fact that you've modified the front end, and that you're new to the bike, with only 4k of ride time. Also, the fact that it has pulled to both sides at different times, indicates that this is something not related to a bad rotor or caliper, since it would be odd to have problems on both sides simultaneously.

The only thing I can think of that I have had some experience with, is worn rotors. When these rotors get nearer the end, they tend to start pulsing, just like car rotors do. But unlike car rotors, these can't be ground to eliminate the uneven surface that has developed on the rotor. The pulsing is not usually noticeable with brake application at higher speeds, but a light pull of the lever as the bike is coasting to a stop will reveal the pulsing. The more the rotors wear like this, the more pronounced the pulsing gets. And it can actually get pretty annoying.

You don't say how many total miles are on the bike. My 07 is coming up on 30k, and I can just now detect the early signs of wear and tear pulsing in my brakes. I usually R&R the rotors around 40k for this very reason.

From your description, it doesn't sound like there's anything critically wrong....

I am in complete agreement.:fingers-crossed-emo

The one piece of info I left out was milage. She has just over 26K on her.

I will pay attention to the rotors for pulsation and give the tire a once over, not that it is completely possible to "see" tire issue.

Thanks all.

Cougar I'm kind of thinking same route. Maybe tire wear or possibly the road its self. I also lowered mine as orginal poster has. I have noticed this once in awhile but I think I discovred it can be the road. With slight crown in center and certainly the two tire groves the big rigs and cars drive in all the time, off to one side or the other slightly and it can make it sort of go one way or the other under braking. Mine just dont feel like the front gets the "grip" that my single rotor Kawi 900 had. Maybe I'm still getting use to it.

Joe, is this the original tire up front and what brand is it?

The front is an AVON. It is the original size not a narrower tire as some run.

I could buy into the road crown theory... as I said it is right there at the last bit of roll when it comes to a stop. I purchased the bike on a Saturday and lowered her that sunday because (as MANY others have stated, complained, etc) I was on my tip toes 2up and coming to a stop that first day was a little tense. Once I lowered the front I am flat footed and have never looked back...:thumbsup2:

Joe do you live in a neighborhood where the roads are maybe less likely to have the crowns? Maybe take a spin around for a few stops and see if ya got the same problem. That may narrow it down. Maybe an empty parking lot and test it out there.

I have a similar issue where just before coming to a stop and using the front brake there is a bit of a "shimmy". Almost feels like pulsing or that the forks are wobbling (?) but forwards and back.

Mine has 26k km (16k miles). Changed out the tires at 18k km. Still on original brakes but dealer said I had 50% left when I had the tires done. Never rotated brakes pads. I do have a brand new set of pads for front and back for when it is time.

I do have the front end wobble and know I have to tighten the steering head. I want to take care of this before digging deeper into the front end. I'm thinking it is possible a loose steering head might cause the problem as described by the OP.

Mic your front rotors. Stock they should be about 5.0 thick. My 99 were worn down to 2.7. Also, just how clear is your fluid? Compare a spoon of it to a spoon of new fluid and see if its darker. Tire pressure may play a part here as well. An Avon front tire is happy at about 42-44 lbs pressure. 46-48 in the rear.

While I'm not as experience as the others I will add that I had the same problem when I first started riding mine. Thanks to another thread here I discovered what I called a bad habit especially on this heavy beast. I have found that if I release the front brake just before I stop the problem disappeared any uneven road conditions would make the heavy front end try to pull one way or the other with front brake applied and me trying to catch it. So you might give it a try before you start digging. :080402gudl_prv:

XV: your problem definatly sounds like it could be rotor related. I would definatly take care of the steering head first and then go from there. You may have to jack it up and get a dial indicator to check run out.

I might be wondering if your front tire is over inflated? (like 45+)

That could make it a bit more sensitive to the road or parking lot surface, and explain why one time it's left and then right.

If it is high, test it at 38-39 to see if that goes away.

Just a simple thought.

Mike G.

While I'm not as experience as the others I will add that I had the same problem when I first started riding mine. Thanks to another thread here I discovered what I called a bad habit especially on this heavy beast. I have found that if I release the front brake just before I stop the problem disappeared any uneven road conditions would make the heavy front end try to pull one way or the other with front brake applied and me trying to catch it. So you might give it a try before you start digging. :080402gudl_prv:

I concur with Playboy. I used to have the same problem with the bike pulling to the right or left just before stopping. Would drive me nuts, esp riding 2 up with the wife.

I later got the "Ride Like a Pro" video. It instructs you to use both brakes at first, then let off the front at about 5-10 mph.Using the back brake only will tend to stand the bike up, while the front will pull it to either side, especially when going very slowly, such as right before you come to a stop.

Worked like a charm for me and I have not had the problem since then.

Ride Safe!

1/2crazed

I concur with Playboy. I used to have the same problem with the bike pulling to the right or left just before stopping. Would drive me nuts, esp riding 2 up with the wife.

I later got the "Ride Like a Pro" video. It instructs you to use both brakes at first, then let off the front at about 5-10 mph.Using the back brake only will tend to stand the bike up, while the front will pull it to either side, especially when going very slowly, such as right before you come to a stop.

Ya, like I said at the first reply!!

Ride Safe!

1/2crazed

:sign yeah that:Had the same problem when on 2 wheels. letting off the front brake just before you stop, rear brake will straighten you out.