Hi all!

Just bought myself an 85 Venture xvz12! I'm now in the process of fixing some of the issues it has. The biggest one is the CMS doesn't seem to work! The rest of the gauges seem to be ok except the RPM gauge is intermittent. Nothing at all shows on the lcd. I've tried replacing the 15A fuse but same issue. I have read about the CMS needing to be resoldered but all the posts I've read have some function! Mine has none!!

Suggestions?

Hi all!

Just bought myself an 85 Venture xvz12! I'm now in the process of fixing some of the issues it has. The biggest one is the CMS doesn't seem to work! The rest of the gauges seem to be ok except the RPM gauge is intermittent. Nothing at all shows on the lcd. I've tried replacing the 15A fuse but same issue. I have read about the CMS needing to be resoldered but all the posts I've read have some function! Mine has none!!

Suggestions?

Try cleaning and re-seating the connectors. They rarely simply fail completely.

CMS = Computer Monitor System, I believe. The LCD screen for the warning lights on the dash.

I'll try cleaning and reseating. Should I resolder the board while I'm at it or can the cleaning be done without removing the CMS?

CMS = Computer Monitor System, I believe. The LCD screen for the warning lights on the dash.

I'll try cleaning and reseating. Should I resolder the board while I'm at it or can the cleaning be done without removing the CMS?

You can clean the connectors without removing the instrument panel .... Probably get to them with the headlight out, although you may have to dismantle a bit more than that.

Try the easy things first.

Hi all!

Suggestions?

There is a fine line between some functions & no functions. Link to thread below shows an 83 standard CMS being soldered, but the overall procedure for a 85 CMS will be similar. It would really be the first place to start. There is no separate fuse just feeding CMS.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33328

Gary

Headlights and tail lights as well as dash, signals and even the light for the CMS all work correctly. Simply no activity on the CMS and intermittent Tach.

You might want to check the wiring diagram. It's possible that both units share a common ground. If they do, it could be that simple.

I am not sure about this, so this is for the knowledgable guys here:

If the tach is intermittent is there not a chance it could be an issue with the tci being faulty as well?

Brian

Unlikely, especially if you can't detect a mis-fire on cylinder #2.

It's much more likely to be either a sticky tach, or electrical issue caused by corrosion (which could be between the TCI and the tach).

You could check that by simply swapping he TCI for a known good one, if you have access to one.

Do the simple stuff ... Check and clean all the connectors and grounds, especially the grounds.

I am not sure about this, so this is for the knowledgable guys here:

If the tach is intermittent is there not a chance it could be an issue with the tci being faulty as well?

Brian

Could be and that miss is hard to catch. Pull TCI connections and clean and grease. Might be time to bake and dry out TCI.

O.k.,

I pulled the CMS from the dash. Luckily it wasn't too tough. I found that the TD62504P chip looks like a mini volcano, i.e. cracks like it released the magic smoke from inside and also a bit of a scorch mark on the board near the pins. Could this be the reason for my non-functioning CMS??

Also, when I was disassembling things to get to it I found a connector that has 2 red wires and 1 black. It wasn't connected to anything and I can't find where it is supposed to go!!

Any ideas???

Steve

O.k.,

I pulled the CMS from the dash. Luckily it wasn't too tough. I found that the TD62504P chip looks like a mini volcano, i.e. cracks like it released the magic smoke from inside and also a bit of a scorch mark on the board near the pins. Could this be the reason for my non-functioning CMS??

Also, when I was disassembling things to get to it I found a connector that has 2 red wires and 1 black. It wasn't connected to anything and I can't find where it is supposed to go!!

Any ideas???

Steve

There is a post somewhere where someone found a replacement chip for the TD62504p. Will look tomorrow unless someone finds it first. May be easier to find replacement CMS.

Prior to reinstalling a repaired CMS you need to inspect the battery fluid sensor wire. If running an AGM battery, there is nowhere for the lead acid probe, and battery warning light is always on. I would suspect PO tied probe wire direct to battery PLUS, and this is what blew your chip. It should have a resistor (apx 2.2kohm) installed between battery plus and the wire. This is called the 'resistor mod' you can search for.

Can you send pic and better location discription of connector with red and black wires?

OK-found many posts about the chip

Heres the one I was thinking off: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63495

In the many posts it appears we are not really sure where to actually get a replacement chip

This appears to be another chip that would substitute- no guarantee http://www.mitsubishielectric-mesh.com/products/pdf/m63803p_e.pdf

Lots available on google search, but all providers appear to be china or hong kong.

Edited by bkuhr
found thread

I have never heard of an improper battery monitor job taking out the whole CMS. Just the battery monitor circuit.

Not sure what that phantom connector is but there are some connectors in the harness that are unused due to options that were not installed when the bike was built.