I'm still in the process of getting my '83 roadready. I did actually ride it for the first time the other day. She really runs nice considering I haven't had the carbs adjusted yet. The problem I'm having now is that the red warning light is always flashing. Where do I begin in the process of chasing down the problem?

If the gas pump picture is showing, you are just low on gas . I thought it was supposed to be on until I filled up the first time . When you are off reserve, you will just show bars across .

one of the other squares on your display should be showing a picture of something, and that is the clue to what is lighting the warning.

a common one happens when ppl change out the battery and dont use the fluid level probe with the bikes new battery. it requires an easy fix of attaching a resistor in the line where the probe used to be. (the thread explaining how is in here somewhere)

BTW Welcome to the group!

Brian

I checked last night and found that the battery picture stays on so I guess it is tha fact that I don't have the fluid level probe in the battery. I'll try to find the thread that you talked about for the resister in the line. Does anyone know where it is?:confused24:

I found the thread about adding the resistor. The battery I purchased does have the hole for the sensor. I tried putting the sensor probe in but it didn't seem to fit tight enough to stay in place. Also, when the sensor was in place, the batter indicator stayed on. The probe was a little corroded so maybe I just need to clean it. I'll try that first and if it doesn't work, I'll go with the resistor. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes. Then I'll move on to my next problem which is the CLASS.

There is a class repair section in the Tech pages also. My probe light has been flashing also since I got a new battery. I haven't fixed it yet as I am having issues finding resistors. For some reason they don't carry them at out Source Stores here in Canada:confused24:

I found the thread about adding the resistor. The battery I purchased does have the hole for the sensor. I tried putting the sensor probe in but it didn't seem to fit tight enough to stay in place. Also, when the sensor was in place, the batter indicator stayed on. The probe was a little corroded so maybe I just need to clean it. I'll try that first and if it doesn't work, I'll go with the resistor. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes. Then I'll move on to my next problem which is the CLASS.

Make it easy on yourself, and go the resistor route :)

My CMU has had the battery warning bypassed, and jumpers across the tailight warning and the headlight. LED bulbs and an HID headlight made that necessary.

Now it only actually warns me of Sidestand and has a working Gas Gauge. Oh, and Brake fluid level.

Personally, I think they are really the ones that matter most.

The battery resister wire is a real breeze to make and install. In fact I made a couple extra just in case. Mine took the 2.2 ohm resister.My 87 needs one but I just haven't been in town to install it yet.

Good luck.

Bill

I'm still in the process of getting my '83 roadready. I did actually ride it for the first time the other day. She really runs nice considering I haven't had the carbs adjusted yet. The problem I'm having now is that the red warning light is always flashing. Where do I begin in the process of chasing down the problem?

Which warning light.....???

Condor,

It's the red light in to top left corner of the display area.

That light is telling you that one of the warning circuits is activated.

It's not the sidestand, or the engine would cut when you put it in gear.

If there are bars showing on the gas gauge, and gas in the tank, it's not that either.

Which leaves battery warning, low brake fluid, headlight or tail lights.

When I got mine they all lit up like a Christmas tree, except the sidestand .... Eventually, I made them all go out.

So one of the LCD warning squares (or more) should be showing an icon ... There is your problem.

The other issue that can cause problems is the internal grounding in the CMU. Mine needed jumpering to a good ground.

If you have replaced bulbs with LED, the tail light will throw a warning ... A HID headlight will do the same on the Headlight section. Faulty battery monitor and low brake fluid or a bad switch in the reservoir. Blown headlight bulb (either filament). The headlight will appear to be working, but that is the Reserve Lighting Unit fooling you. (Is the white light on the dash illuminated?

OK the Icons seem to be a mystery here.

There is a grey panel just below that flashing red light.

When you first turn the key to the run position does a series of icons light-up in that grey window?

After they have cycled thru, do any of them remain lit?

OK the Icons seem to be a mystery here.

There is a grey panel just below that flashing red light.

When you first turn the key to the run position does a series of icons light-up in that grey window?

After they have cycled thru, do any of them remain lit?

No mystery, OP said in post #9 it is the Battery segment.

Now FWIW, after you placed probe into the battery, and still did not extinguish the light

1. fluid is low in your lead acid battery-add distilled water

2. wiring problem or damages probe

3. a previous ower tried to bypass the circuit and hook the probe wire direct to battery +

this would have fried the battery circuit internally the CMS, and nothing you do with the resistor mod will help. There was a post somewhere where someone located a replacement IC chip that could be replaced, but it would be easier to locate a replacement CMS

Brian,

It's a new batter. I filled it myself so I know the fluid level is good. The probe is corroded pretty badly so that may be the problem. I'm going to try cleaning it as suggested in a previous post. I don't see any signs of a modification being made to it so maybe the resistor will work.

The battery resister wire is a real breeze to make and install. In fact I made a couple extra just in case. Mine took the 2.2 ohm resister.My 87 needs one but I just haven't been in town to install it yet.

Good luck.

Bill

I think you mean 2.2K ohm!