IGNORED

Wheels 'locked up' in neutral

I am a brand new rider and just got my first bike. While learning how to ride at a relatively slow speed, I dropped my bike on the left side (into grass). Nothing appears to be broken on visual inspection, however I can't even push the bike when it is in neutral. :confused24: Does anyone have any ideas as to why I can't push the bike in neutral? It shifts into first and neutral but not into 2nd or above. I am more concerned why the wheels appear to be locked up even in neutral.

Feedback is appreciated

Are you certain it's going into neutral? Put her on the center stand and check by rotating the rear wheel by hand as you shift into first and then neutral. If it still does not go to neutral, it's possible the shifter spool may have been damaged if it the shifter was forced when you dropped her.

If on the other hand you find it is in neutral, raise the front wheel of the ground and see if it turns...if not, your front caliper is seized. That would explain why you dropped her in the grass!:080402gudl_prv:

And is this a New bike, or an Older bike ???

Also, has it been in storage, a long time, if, its an old bike ???

Yes, I'm also curious what bike we're talking about. A Venture (regardless of 1gen or 2gen) is by no means a learner bike. I'd suggest parking it and find a little tiddler to learn how to maneuver and balance on, get some experience, and then come back to the big boy later on. My best suggestion is to learn on the dirt/grass (enduro or dirt bike... small in size).

:080402gudl_prv:

Its an '87 Venture Royale. I was advised to get this one instead of something smaller for my first one. I agree with getting more experience on something smaller. Just want to get this one fixed too. The guy I bought it from only had it parked in the garage for the Michigan winter. He had been riding it around already this spring.

Thanks for the ideas. Will check it out a little more.

Its an '87 Venture Royale. I was advised to get this one instead of something smaller for my first one. I agree with getting more experience on something smaller. Just want to get this one fixed too. The guy I bought it from only had it parked in the garage for the Michigan winter. He had been riding it around already this spring.

Thanks for the ideas. Will check it out a little more.

I had that problem recently with the 86. I just rocked it a little and finally worked it into neutral. Later I adjusted the linkage so it the pedal was a tad higher and i was using a straighter push pull.