I dont know much about this bike yet so bare with me. Need to replace a speedometer cable on my 83 Yamaha XVZ12TK, can I get the instrument cluster out to get to the back of it with out taking a lot of front fairing off. It seems loose like it will just pop out but I don't want to mess anything up. Thanks Jerry.

On my 89 I got to it through the front headlight also..if it is loose n rattling add a thin washer on the bolts to clamp the rubber spacer tighter . Mine was driving me crazy until I did that .

If you pull your unit, grease the bushing while you are at it .

I dont know much about this bike yet so bare with me. Need to replace a speedometer cable on my 83 Yamaha XVZ12TK, can I get the instrument cluster out to get to the back of it with out taking a lot of front fairing off. It seems loose like it will just pop out but I don't want to mess anything up. Thanks Jerry.

Remove the 3 piece windshield trim, and windshield. You can get to the phillips head screws holding the dash cover on thru the front turn signals. That should give you enough room to mess around with the back of the speedo... However if you need to replace the speedo cable undo it down at the axle and the cable will slide right out.

Are you Just replaceing the Cable, in side the Outer Sheath ???

IF, so, all you have to do is disconnect the sheath at the front wheel

and pull out the inner Cable,

then shove the new one in, from the bottom. ( Coat the new cable with Greese )

If there is nothing wrong with the Speedo Unit itself, then this is all you have to do.