IGNORED

97-98 Royal Star for all weather riding?

Looking for something to replace my old 1200 Goldwing with for every day all weather use.(I ride full time year round)

I like my RSV and may get a second for "Beater" use but I've seen a few Royal Stars for pretty good prices.

How well does the Royal Star with factory windshield and lowers protect rider from cold and wet? Looks like there is very little protection for the hands and legs. Maybe just looks?

They don't. I've been out on mine in 10º and 20º weather a number of times, but you have to know how to bundle up and stop air leaks into your clothing. I put hand guards on mine in cooler weather and they help a lot as far as your hands go by keeping the direct hard wind off of them. I put the big Baron's crash bars on my bike and made myself some vinyl covers for them that block some of the wind from your legs and feet, but not much. Some kind of neck warmer that goes from inside your coat up into your helmet is really good, and electric clothing helps. But overall I think you'd be much better off on an RSV with a full fairing and leg fairings for cold weather riding.

What's the coldest temperature you see down there in TX?

They don't.

What's the coldest temperature you see down there in TX?

GREAT lookin bike!

The coldest I've ridden in so far was 12 on my goldwing with grip heaters and elect gloves.

That was back when I was riding 75 miles one way to work.

I guess I'll keep my eyes open for another RSV. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one that has been down and scuffed up for cheap. Hey, it's for commuting...not show & tell. :rotf:

The Royal Stars do have a strong appeal don't they? I was thinking it would be a really nice fair weather bike. Between my "beater" goldwing(soon to be outside), My RSV, My wife's "Beater" 750 Vulcan and her "sweetie" 650 V Star Silverado, the shop is pretty full. I still may have to figure out how to slip one more bike in there somehow.I know it's impossible to have too many toys but it is possible to have too small a shop.

This one looks like it could be fun....http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2900215006.html but I'll have to wait till I get another RSV before I can start stuffing ol' piggy for another bike.

Edited by MikeM