Got mine today and the instruction sheet says that for the RSTD

Note: Do not exceed 6500 RPM on a stock Royal Star with out aftermarket valve springs. Do not Exceed 7500 RPM on a stck Venture with out aftermarket valve springs.

So if I set my 08 RSTD at 7250, will it hurt it?

:confused24:

Has never hurt mine to open the throttle as far as I can.:fingers-crossed-emo

Crank it as far as you can, jump off seat and dangle from handlebar to get that extra little bit!! But we are talking about 1st Gens. Abuse a 2nd Gen like that and it will start dropping parts all over the road!!:whistling::stirthepot:

So if I set my 08 RSTD at 7250, will it hurt it?

:confused24:

It won't hurt the bike one bit to set it there, it may sting a little when you actually rev the motor high enough to engage the rev limiter. To pick a rev limit setting, you need to know what the motor is capable of and where you are past the useful torque curve.

Don't rev the motor with no load on it to see if it will hit the limiter. If you no load rev the motor, it can climb so rapidly, you can float a valve into a piston. Under power and you climb to higher RPM's you will feel the motor flatten out when you have reved it so high the valves start floating slightly. You need to really float the valves hard to get them to float into a piston.

I have reved mine to the point of feeling them start to float, this is right at 10,000 rpms with fairly stock VMax heads and a modified block. The motor will flatten out on the torque curve well before this point though, so there is no point in routinely doing this. Most float damages happen at the 1~2 or 2~3 missed gear shifts. There is that uncontrolled full burst of power with no reaction time that will fubar a motor.

Gary