IGNORED

Help? Front Fork Air Pressure

How much air pressure should be in my front forks?? I don't think I have any air in them after checking with a guage. ( 99 ROYAL STAR BLVD. STD.) Any tips on front fork maintance would help, I have never had air front forks before! PLEASE REPLY ASAP!:confused24: :confused24: :confused24:

The max is only 7 lbs. The volume is very low so it's hard to check them with a traditional gauge. About the only way to do it correctly is with a special pump. Many of us use the Progressive gauge/pump combination. It has a zero loss disconnect.

That being said, I find that 0-3 lbs. works just fine.

Don

• 3 years later...

the shocks has 5w oil in them and it helps out to replace it with 10w. the air over oil helps stop the bouncing around and stops the diving when you hits the brakes. you can jack up the bike so the front-end is just off the ground, pull the wheel of and up inside the hole in the bottom is a allen-head plug, pull it out and screw out the air valves and it'll drain out. you can use a big hypo needle or a ear wash pumper to put it back in thru top holes. it's listed somewhere about how much you put in it, i can't remember right now. progressive makes and kit to tie both air valves together so you can keep the right pressure on it.

• 2 years later...

It is easier to set the pressure while the bike sits on the ground, but it sounds like the pressure should be set while the bike is on the lift and no weight on the wheel. I would imagine that the rear should also be set with no weight on it. I'm going to give it a try with no weight on the bike, on the lift. I will let you know if anything pops on the 1st dip I hit.:confused07:

The assembly manual says there should be no weight on the bike....

They do that so that there is a known weight on the forks/shock... or there abouts. Something they can predict and then have a recommended maximum.

For example... bike on the ground with saddle bags and trunk loaded, maybe with a passenger sitting on the bike... Hey, some people would do it.

On a lift... there is no additional load on the forks/shock. Only thing not accounted for is wear on the forks/shocks themselves.

• 1 month later...
It is easier to set the pressure while the bike sits on the ground, but it sounds like the pressure should be set while the bike is on the lift and no weight on the wheel. I would imagine that the rear should also be set with no weight on it. I'm going to give it a try with no weight on the bike, on the lift. I will let you know if anything pops on the 1st dip I hit.:confused07:

What result did you get?

I set the pressure on the front at 7 lbs, the rear at 40 lbs, while on the lift. Loaded the bike, added the wife and have put about 1200 miles on the bike. Rides great! When I added the air to the front, I found a differance of 2 lbs between the forks. Making them balanced improved the handling bigtime! Slow turns, as will as fast sweepers are much more stable, no more feeling like the bike had a hinge in the frame. Oh yeah, I have not heard a pop from the air bags yet.