IGNORED

When your kids become an embarrassment

Freebird

Well folks, you try your best to raise your children right but what do you do when they finally do something that is a complete embarrassment to you.

From the time they are born. You try to set a good example. Yea, we often fall short but we do our best and hope that they learn the important things that they need to know to get through this life.

Now those of you who have sons can surely relate. Things are much different today than they were when I was a kid. Back then, those of us with a bit of a wild streak would drive our fathers crazy by sneaking out and riding our motorcycles all night, getting in fights in the smoking area at school, having a good pocket knife taken away by a teacher. Heck...I've even had the local police call my dad to tell him that they caught, but let me go, for having a couple of cold ones in my car. All things things and a lot more that I know caused some premature gray hair for my dad.

In spite of doing my best though, I still always had that little bit of fear nagging deep inside. It got worse when Dylan started driving. Though I know that he is basically a very good kid and has never caused me any real trouble, I also know that we as parents certainly don't know everything. You worry that he will end up having a few beers with friends and the police will call late one night....luckily that never happened. You worry that you find out that they were busted drag racing on some deserted road. That never happened. The biggest fear of all is that they come home one day and tell you that they have gotten a girl in trouble. Always a big fear...hasn't happened.

So just when I thought that we had made it past most of these things....tonight Dylan calls me with news that I never thought I would have to hear. Though he had alluded to it in passing a couple of times...I had simply told him to NOT become an embarrassment to me and I thought he had listened. I guess not.......................so.........

I may as well say it...my son is....well....he has admitted to being an APPLE fan and as of today was notified that he has been hired by APPLE. Now he is in college and it is a part time job at a local Apple retail store but still....APPLE. :doh:

I guess I should blame myself. We should have never moved to Ohio. I could have stayed in Texas...maybe moved to the Austin area so that he could be near Dell. I still tried though....he has been raised on Dell computers. I just assumed that he would grow up to be a PC man. But APPLE???????

To add insult to injury....he threw it in my face that he would be able to get me a discount on a new Apple computer. :bang head:

Oh why couldn't he have just gotten a girl in trouble. :confused24:

Its a rebellion thing he will learn the error he has made as he ages. He will likely return to the values you have instilled in him after he has children of his own. We will pray for the salvation of his soul.:rotf::rotf::rotf:

You could have wished the beer thing,, with the cops and all,,, then you could have kicked the crapple out him for good :buttkick:,,, but now?? you'll go old and gray to your grave, all sunken in and bent over from the load you have to bear,,, oh that there were better days ahead.

Now Freebird, you can't give up the ghost just yet. Your son is in a major crisis and it is only through care and intervention that he can be shown back to the path of Open Computing. The best thing you can do right now is have him build a Gentoo Linux system from the ground up and let him see for himself the kind of stability that can be had from a system he built himself without the hassle of being locked into the media channels that only the company who manufactured the computer will allow.

Also consider that your son may not have made the Apple choice of his own volition. Many schools and colleges now preach the Apple Blasphemy and brainwash the masses into the dichotomy that all computing must be spoon fed by your Corporate Overlords.

Nay dear friends, we must all rise up, and build an open network that our ideas and creativity may truly flow without the boxed philosophy that so many companies feel that the masses must adhere to!

Its environment not heredity! See, no matter where you come from, you can step up to your potential!

Well folks, you try your best to raise your children right but what do you do when they finally do something that is a complete embarrassment to you.

From the time they are born. You try to set a good example. Yea, we often fall short but we do our best and hope that they learn the important things that they need to know to get through this life.

Now those of you who have sons can surely relate. Things are much different today than they were when I was a kid. Back then, those of us with a bit of a wild streak would drive our fathers crazy by sneaking out and riding our motorcycles all night, getting in fights in the smoking area at school, having a good pocket knife taken away by a teacher. Heck...I've even had the local police call my dad to tell him that they caught, but let me go, for having a couple of cold ones in my car. All things things and a lot more that I know caused some premature gray hair for my dad.

In spite of doing my best though, I still always had that little bit of fear nagging deep inside. It got worse when Dylan started driving. Though I know that he is basically a very good kid and has never caused me any real trouble, I also know that we as parents certainly don't know everything. You worry that he will end up having a few beers with friends and the police will call late one night....luckily that never happened. You worry that you find out that they were busted drag racing on some deserted road. That never happened. The biggest fear of all is that they come home one day and tell you that they have gotten a girl in trouble. Always a big fear...hasn't happened.

So just when I thought that we had made it past most of these things....tonight Dylan calls me with news that I never thought I would have to hear. Though he had alluded to it in passing a couple of times...I had simply told him to NOT become an embarrassment to me and I thought he had listened. I guess not.......................so.........

I may as well say it...my son is....well....he has admitted to being an APPLE fan and as of today was notified that he has been hired by APPLE. Now he is in college and it is a part time job at a local Apple retail store but still....APPLE. :doh:

I guess I should blame myself. We should have never moved to Ohio. I could have stayed in Texas...maybe moved to the Austin area so that he could be near Dell. I still tried though....he has been raised on Dell computers. I just assumed that he would grow up to be a PC man. But APPLE???????

To add insult to injury....he threw it in my face that he would be able to get me a discount on a new Apple computer. :bang head:

Oh why couldn't he have just gotten a girl in trouble. :confused24:

When I opened this post up, I did happen to barely notice the word APPLE, but I did not associate it with Apple computers. I got so involved in your concern about him getting in trouble, that at first I thought you were going to tell us about him getting out with his buddies and they were throwing apples out of the car at people and he was caught and charged with..............

A Drive by Fruiting.:rotf:

RandyA

:rotf::rotf:

Don, you sound like a friend of mine. A few years back his son was working at a computer store and was recruited to work for Apple. He took the job and has been working his way up in the company much to my friends frustration.

Everytime I get together with his family I alway like to ask how everyone is doing. He'll talk about his wife, his daughters and even the family cat. But when I ask about his son it's like, "I have a son?"

He blames it all on the Garden of Eden, Eve and that danged snake. I claims that's where everything started going wrong.... with that danged Apple.

Well, I'm no Apple fan but I am proud of my son. He went through 7 interviews to get the job. The first one was a group interview with about 140 other applicants for two positions that they were hiring for. One was in inventory and the other in sales. It was the sales job that he wanted and finally got. He has been working for Best Buy in cameras, computers and cellular for about a year so had some experience but so did many of the others. He did good.

Hope he does well Don. You had me going there for a bit. Nothing to worry about, he has got to get his feet wet somewhere, might as well be Apple. Then move on up to, say something else ?????? Really though, I can see through this, you are a proud Pop, I would be.

My daughter is finishing college and is doing well in the Social Work she is interested in. She has already turned down several jobs. She says she is wanting nothing less than what she has been trained for. She is working now at Kings Daughters Hospital in Ashland,Ky. Also the library at college and still finishing college.

So I am a proud Pop too. She is 21 years old.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

So sorry to hear the bad, upsetting news.

We try the best we can for our children.

My daughter was a nice cute engaged bank teller living at home. One day she came home and said she broke off the engagement and was enlisting in the Army as an MP. Next thing I know she is a Military Police Officer with Airborne on her way to Afghanistan.

I TOLD her.. I lectured her..to be safe..think she listened..?? NOOOooooo way..had to get herself blown up by an IED. :shock3: Then she went and earned her Purple Heart and COmbat Action badge. WHAT is with these kids ???

Don't they listen anymore??

Don't they understand?:no-no-no:

You try to teach them to listen...:confused24:

Hang in there...hopefully your son is just going through a phase... if not..there is always intervention and Dell rehab.

Just hope he NEVER dabbles in the 2nd Gen world....:rotf:

Congrats, I love Apple!!! I thought you were going to tell us he did something really stupid like, buy a Harley or even a wing or even worse. He could have had a nasty argument about what oil to put in the bike or told you how useless torque wrenches are. Sooo congrats and hats off to the lad.

The fun part of this is that sooner or later, he will grow up and realize that dear ole Dad was right all along!

Enjoy that "I told ya so" when it comes.

:backinmyday:

This happens right at the point when he has a son who thinks that Dad is wrong about everything!

Yeah, it happens!

I started working with computers in the Navy in 1968. It was a Univac 1004. Been a computer nerd/geek/junkie ever since and other than a single course in college using Apple products, I've always been a "PC man". BTW, over the years the most crashes I've ever had on computers were those in the art class at college. They would crash while recovering from a crash!! Some days students would spend literally the entire class waiting for their machine to reboot to a usable state.

Long story short....I bought an iPad 2 a few months ago. Love it! The only problem, my wife can't seem to put it down.