IGNORED

Speedo HEALED

lshafer

Installed a Speedohealer on my RSTD this morning. I began the process about 10:15 with a quick ride with the GPS to verify my indicated speed vs actual speed. I found I was 6 MPH off at 60. (60 actual but indicated 66) Returned to my garage and installed the unit. Really easy. I had the installation done by 11AM, programmed the unit and went for a ride. After a couple of minor tweaks, my speedometer is spot on with my Garmin GPS. It's so nice to know I'm running the speed that's indicated on the speedometer.

I would certainly recommend this mod to others interested in seeing the proper speed displayed rather than estimating where they think they are. Great product and easy install.

Ride safe.

Guest tx2sturgis
I haven't checked that yet. I've been too excited to look at the correct speed. :cool10:

I'll verify in the next week or so and post back.

There is an offset between the accuracy of the odometer and the accuracy of the speedometer. I believe this is what Dave was referring to. On our bikes, the speedohealer will let you accurately calibrate either the speed, or the miles traveled, but not both.

Back in 2008, I started a thread that describes my experience with the speedohealer. Its still working perfectly to this day.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25233&highlight=speedohealer

Edited by tx2sturgis

So in other words since the speed is now correct (Lowered from 66 to 60) so that means that the miles on the odometer will be less?

This will raise the resale value but cut down on the miles per tank of gas. Something to keep in mind when you also notice a sudden 10% drop in gas mileage.

Guest tx2sturgis
So in other words since the speed is now correct (Lowered from 66 to 60) so that means that the miles on the odometer will be less?

This will raise the resale value but cut down on the miles per tank of gas. Something to keep in mind when you also notice a sudden 10% drop in gas mileage.

Yes, your apparent miles per tank will drop. Of course the bike is still going as far as it used to on a gallon of gas, but instead of say 37 mpg, you might now be showing 34 mpg. Small diff, but its now reflecting the TRUE mileage, not what you were being lead to believe it was before the speedohealer. And another thing that might cause the fuel mileage to suffer a slight decrease after adding the speedohealer: Since the bike might now be ridden a bit faster on the highway, to better match the indicated speed, actual speed, and speed limits, the fuel mileage might decrease a bit.

None of this is the fault of the speedohealer...its the way we REACT to the changes it makes in the apparent speed of the bike. :whistling:

:2cents:

Yes, your apparent miles per tank will drop. Of course the bike is still going as far as it used to on a gallon of gas, but instead of say 37 mpg, you might now be showing 34 mpg. Small diff, but its now reflecting the TRUE mileage, not what you were being lead to believe it was before the speedohealer. And another thing that might cause the fuel mileage to suffer a slight decrease after adding the speedohealer: Since the bike might now be ridden a bit faster on the highway, to better match the indicated speed, actual speed, and speed limits, the fuel mileage might decrease a bit.

None of this is the fault of the speedohealer...its the way we REACT to the changes it makes in the apparent speed of the bike. :whistling:

:2cents:

My concern wasn't so much MPG as it was service intervals. Re-reading your earlier thread, it seems the difference in odometer isn't so much. 1%? If I want to change my oil every 3000 miles, it will actually be 3030 miles?

Dave

Guest tx2sturgis
My concern wasn't so much MPG as it was service intervals. Re-reading your earlier thread, it seems the difference in odometer isn't so much. 1%? If I want to change my oil every 3000 miles, it will actually be 3030 miles?

Dave

Yes its a small offset to be sure.

But it IS there and cant be fixed, that I know of.

So a RSV or RSTD with a speedohealer installed might show 100,000 miles on it after 10 years, and without the speedohealer it might have shown the bike traveled 110,000 miles or so. Not enough of a difference to worry about come sale day.

But in my day to day riding, I prefer to know that my odometer is now quite accurate with respect to distance traveled between gas stops and towns.

The fact that my speedometer now reads about 1 or maybe 2 mph high is of no importance to me since the speedometer only has a resolution of 2.5 mph anyway.

Other users have stated that they prefer the speed readout to be very accurate and are wiling to take the hit on the odometer, which is fine with me. It IS called a SPEEDohealer, after all.

:happy34:

From my experience. The speed and odometer are both off from the factory. Not the same amount though. I found that on most bikes, the speedo is off about 7 1/2% and he odometer is off about 3 - 4 percent. So after you correct the speed with the Speedohealer, the odometer will be under reporting about 3%. To me, that is not significant enough to worry about and I prefer the speedo being correct.

My odometer is over reporting 3-4%. If it under reports 3-4%, I'll get used to it, I suppose.

I estimate speed from the GPS. I rarely look at the dashboard. But I would like to get my cruise control to work at Texas Highway Legal speeds. Right now it stops at 78mph, because it thinks I am going 90. :(

Dave

Guest tx2sturgis
My odometer is over reporting 3-4%. If it under reports 3-4%, I'll get used to it, I suppose.

I estimate speed from the GPS. I rarely look at the dashboard. But I would like to get my cruise control to work at Texas Highway Legal speeds. Right now it stops at 78mph, because it thinks I am going 90. :(

Dave

Sounds like you should make a purchase pretty soon. But you and I both know the 80mph zones are MANY hours from Sugarland.

BTW, I have been making a few deliveries in the Houston area lately...I'll be sure to watch for the guy with the '06 Tour Deluxe!

:happy34: