IGNORED

I cannot get it into neutral

Ok, someone has to ask the obvious.

Is your shift linkage installed the right way. It can be installed backwards so that while you think you are looking for neutral between 1st and 2nd you are actually trying to find neutral between 4th and 5th.

When I had my '85 I always had trouble getting it into neutral while it was running. What I would do is turn it off when in 1st, apply a little upward pressure on the shifter and then rock the bike forward/backward... voila` ... it would pop into neutral!

Hard to know from the information you provided what is going on. The way the transmission works it can be tricky to change gears on a stationary bike, especially with the engine running.

Turn the key on but do not start the motorcycle. Also leave the clutch lever alone. Rock the bike back and forth while trying to shift to neutral. If it won't go to neutral or second you've likely got a problem with your linkage or the shift sector.

It sounds to me like the clutch is not disengaging very well and you are having to force it from one gear to another without you being able to stop it between 1st and 2nd. Put the bike up on the center stand and with the engine off, rock the rear wheel back and forth putting slight pressure on the shifter. See if it will shift between the gears. Also, you may need to bleed your clutch if it feels mushy. Where is the clutch catching at when you let the clutch out?

You are not giving us enough information to work with. You say you see the green neutral light, so I suspect there is a neutral. Just try this and let us know what it does.

RandyA

The clutch is not disengaging completely. I can shift into all gears with the bike on the center stand. I can get it started but the clutch engages about 1/4" from the hand grip. I have bled and re-bled the clutch. I have also replaced the clutch slave seals. I also tied the clutch lever and let it sit for a day with the clutch master cap taken off.

I must have put something back together wrong.....

and let it sit for a day with the clutch master cap taken off

That brake fluid will quickly become junk like that. You want MINIMAL exposure to air- best fluid flushing is done on a warm, extremely dry day so the fluid doesn't absorb moisture out of the air.

At least you've narrowed down your issue to clutch release. :080402gudl_prv:

Bled it two more times. Same.

here is my list of things to check tomorrow after work....

clutch in wrong? I was pretty careful

pressure plate bolts too tight? 7 ft-lb instead of 5.5?

worn clutch rods?

master cylinder needs re-built?

Am I missing anything?

With cover off observe clutch plates releasing. Does not take much. I measured .071" stroke when I had my problem. If you have the stroke, but still will not disengage clutch then I would suspect improper assembly. If you do not have the stroke, I would suspect air in slave, missing pushrod ball, or improper mounted slave.(gap in stroke)

There was a post a few weeks ago that Dano had pointed out an issue with one of the washers on the clutch basket would cause a similar problem if not put in the right place.

You might PM Dano and ask him about it.

I don't recall what thread it was.

Gary

Thanks everyone for all the help. I pulled it all apart again and re-assembled. This time I turned the clutch plates around per the shop manual. The plates have 2 notches on one side and one on the other. Manual says to turn these around for sticking clutch. Not sure iof that was the problem but I'm riding now....