IGNORED

Drove a Golf TDI 6spd manual today

RSTDdog

I liked it. But OTD price was 26k for the 4 door. Intellichoice rates the 5 year cost as as excellent. Any opinions out there. I know there are TDI forums and I ve looked at those but that's. Like coming here asking about Ventures. Anyone been down this road and bought something else? Thanks RSTDdog

I liked it. But OTD price was 26k for the 4 door. Intellichoice rates the 5 year cost as as excellent. Any opinions out there. I know there are TDI forums and I ve looked at those but that's. Like coming here asking about Ventures. Anyone been down this road and bought something else? Thanks RSTDdog

I've got a '12 Jetta TDI with the DSG trans and absolutely LOVE it! Got mine the friday after Thanksgiving and I've now got 8k miles on it. It's peppy and a lot of fun to drive, thanks to the very torqy TDI, and gets great fuel economy. My WORST tank was 39.7 and my best thus far is 49.3 (and that was running basically non stop on the interstate at 77 mph on my way from KY to PA. Drive one, they're a hoot!

I have a 2005 VW Passat TDI with a 5 speed automatic that I bought new in Sept/2005. It now has 120000 KM (65000 miles). Ive had no trouble with it, the fuel economy is awesome, mch cheaper than riding my Venture. On the highway, I get about 1100 Km on a 60 liter tank. The drive is very relaxing as the torque makes the terrain seem flat, no downshifting, it's rides the turbo up and down the mountain sides. Best car I've ever owned, and I've had lots. Ron:cool10:

If you put enough miles on it, it will be worth the premium.

Well I planned on putting some miles on it, but there is rub associated with that as well. Some more reading indicates there is a possiblility of issues with the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) unique to the 09 and up common rail TDI. Some reported failures are under warranty with less than 5K miles on the car, others are just out of warranty. The HPFP failure, if it happens, sends metal through the entire fuel system. Approx 7K to replace the pump , all fuel lines,injectors etc if its out of warranty. The failures appear ot be associated with fuel quality but there has been nothing I have seen that the cause of the issue has been identified and resolved. It seems the lubricity standard for diesel fuel in the US is not as rigid (Less lubricity) than in the EU. These also have DPF (Diesel particulate filter), estimated life is around 100 to 120K miles. Assuming no HPFP failure, it seems the Timing belt service and DPF replacement may wipe out any fuel cost savings in 100K miles.

That being said, with 236 lb ft of torque, and a 6 speed manual, its a hoot to drive. It seems well put together and very solid on the road. I loved the two TDI rental cars I had when I was in Germany in 2001 and 2003. Anyway I have backburnered the idea for now, will keep driving the Miata.

Thanks,

RSTDdog

My .25 cents... You will never recoup the cost of buying and maintaining the diesel. The gas version gets around 40mpg {thinking in Canadian gallons} and when you count the additional cost of maintenance on a diesel with the difference in fuel use.... about 250,000 kms to MAYBE break even assuming nothing breaks.

I also can't believe they still use a timing belt on these cars... jeeze get with the 90's.

I am not biased against diesel vehicles, just do not agree with the premium price and built in additional mntc costs.

Cheers, Gary

I'm not familiar with the 09 model. I know the earlier models were well worth the $ if you planned on getting 250k-350k miles on them. Only issues with them were the egr causing the intake to get gummy.

Gary, most any 4cyl you buy will have a timing belt. On the TDI it's a 90k mile maintenance item if I remember correctly.

Actually... no, Honda, Toyota, VW {gas}. Chevy all the new cars use a chain. On my 08 Honda Civic, the chain is rated... forever.

One really has to look at the overall picture when deciding on the complete cost of ownership over the long term {not withstanding you also have to LIKE the car} haha

Cheers, Gary

Actually... no, Honda, Toyota, VW {gas}. Chevy all the new cars use a chain. On my 08 Honda Civic, the chain is rated... forever.

One really has to look at the overall picture when deciding on the complete cost of ownership over the long term {not withstanding you also have to LIKE the car} haha

Cheers, Gary

Well me personally I would prefer a belt driven timing setup as long as it was self servicable. My current Volkswagen timing belt cost me about $20.00 dollars. Timing belts dont wear out cam gears and crank gears like chains do. Trust me chain driven setups can and will fail and when they do they are much more costly to repair. Chains round off gear teeth and chains also stretch.