IGNORED

Rear Brake problems

I went to take a ride on the 84 Venture and it I couldnt get it to roll the rear brake peddle is hard to push and does not want to come back up all of the way. If I take and pull the pedal back up I can turn the tire when its up on the center stand. I only have to pull the pedal back up maybe a 1/4 of an inch. If I adjust it to take the free play out the rear tire is locked up.

Can this be from the pads being wore down and the calipers have went out to far and wont come back in as they would with new pads.

I am going to put pads in and bleed some fluid off and see if this helps.

Hope that someone has a cure for this one, if not I will tell you what I find out.

Orlin

Your return spring maybe out of adjustment or getting weak so that the pedal doesn't return all the way. Although you might need new pads, this should have nothing to do with the release of the brakes.

Your brakes will probably need to be serviced if they haven't been. Crystals tend to build up in the system as well as dirt, so it is a good idea to pull the calipers and the master cylinder off in order to clean them and check for wear and warn seals. I've done a couple, and all I had to do was to clean them, but once apart you need to check for problems. There is a very small, meaning very small hole in the master cylinder that will get blocked with a bit of dirt that will present exactly the problem you are discribing, hence the suggestion to clean things out.

Brake problem fixed, it was the rear caliper sticking and some gunk in the master all is clean new fluid and now have brakes very good brakes. And also cured the surgeing problem that it has had sice I got it.

Orlin

Was the surging problem the rear brakes sticking?:whistling:

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Yes it was When I got it the guy said that the carbs needed some work because it would surge going down the highway. So I went threw the carbs no fix so then I went threw and cleaned all connections on the electrics. Still no fix I was stumped because it wouldnt do it all of the time. Now that I have the rear brake fixed problem solved. Took it for a long ride today feels like a new bike.

Orlin