I am going to need to cut open my best collector after the spare I had on my bike had the output pipe on the right muffler break off. I took my other collector off last fall because it was rattling bad.

My question is, if I take the center wall out that seperates the two sides, will it make the bike louder? I have had a set of Jardines on the bike for about ten years and really don't want the bike to be any louder. In the tech write up, it does state that it opens up the bike a little, like putting a crossover pipe behind a set of headers on a car.

Suggestions appreciated.

RandyA

Ill let you know in a couple of days when I get my bike back. I am running Jardines and the collector is having the innards cleaned out and being rewelded this week. (Hopefully we will have a bike back into my hands by the weekend or early next week at the latest.)

Brian

I've had jardines on my 1st ed for short period of time. Then I thought I wanted/needed a Marks collector. Well after numerous attempts to stop the rear cylinders from leaking where they connect into the Mark's collector, I finally gave up. The fact that the Marks collector, when mounted, was about an inch, maybe a little more, lower than the bottom of the OEM collecter added support to my decision not to install it. This exposes it to damage and that is something I didn't want. So I elected to reinstall my original collector but decided that while I had it off, I'd gut it out. This is the current set up and it is slightly louder with the collector gutted; jardines before and after. But if riding normally, not haulin a>>, the additional decibels aren't that bad. Kick in the a##.....another story indeed

I've had jardines on my 1st ed for short period of time. Then I thought I wanted/needed a Marks collector. Well after numerous attempts to stop the rear cylinders from leaking where they connect into the Mark's collector, I finally gave up. The fact that the Marks collector, when mounted, was about an inch, maybe a little more, lower than the bottom of the OEM collecter added support to my decision not to install it. This exposes it to damage and that is something I didn't want. So I elected to reinstall my original collector but decided that while I had it off, I'd gut it out. This is the current set up and it is slightly louder with the collector gutted; jardines before and after. But if riding normally, not haulin a>>, the additional decibels aren't that bad. Kick in the a##.....another story indeed

What did you find to use for the clamps on the Marks pipe ??

I was going to put some muffler cement on mine when I put it on. Skydoc said he has put them on & after some miles they seat in and quit leaking. I figure a little goo will stop that. May be a pain to get off, but will cross that bridge when I get there.

Gary

What did you find to use for the clamps on the Marks pipe ??

I was going to put some muffler cement on mine when I put it on. Skydoc said he has put them on & after some miles they seat in and quit leaking. I figure a little goo will stop that. May be a pain to get off, but will cross that bridge when I get there.

Gary

Gary, I used two 1 1/2" tractor exhaust clamps, if I remember correctly, and I couldn't get either rear cylinder to not leak. So I removed it and used regular automotive muffler clamps. I had to grind those down significantly in order to get them both to fit in the confined space them must. Result leaks. I found two old Triumph muffler clamps that were also 1 1/2" and still they both rear cylinders leaked. With each different style clamp I must have installed / removed the collector two or three times. Hell, I can do it now blindfolded in about 10 minutes. After two full days of messin with the thing, I just gutted the original collector, welded it back up and reinstalled it. Lesson learned, some things are best just left alone. But she is back together and running great. I love the sound now. I haven't installed the ignitech (sp) tci I purchased from you cause I am waiting for the stock one to crap out.