IGNORED

Well...Here We Go !

Flibber

Hello Everyone,

I'm a newbie here, and to biking for that matter, but I'm about to get my feet wet in a big way. Tomorrow I pick up my first bike. I'm getting into this kinda late in life (55), but looking forward to having some fun, and making some friends. I figure motorcycles would ultimately be a cheaper mid-life crisis than a girlfriend (lol). So tomorrow I p/up a 2006 Yamaha Royal Star Midnight Tour Deluxe, it's beautiful. Heck I'll be happy just sittin on it in the garage, if it runs....all the better. Looking forward to becoming a member here, and getting to know everyone, some of you have already been a help to me in making this selection. You know, I have to say one thing, I was truly impressed at the feedback I heard on this board about the Yamaha brand, and especially the RSTD, it really solidified my choice in bikes.

Thanks Everyone & stay vertical !

:fingers-crossed-emo

Congradulations on your choice of scooter. Glad to have you with us. If this is your first scooter and you haven't taken a Motorcyle Saftey Course it would be a big benifit for you to take a MSC. It's even good for a seasoned rider to take this course. We sometimes pick up some bad habits that need correcting.

C.R.

Venture for a first bike? Definitely take the motorcycle course.

Don't get discouraged with the weight or size of the bike. Give yourself time to get to know the bike. It can be a handful at slow speeds.

Word of advice, get the bike rolling at a good speed before turning until you get used to it. Make sure you wear good boots with non-slip soles, be wary of good footing when you put your feet down (watch out for gravel or oil), don't park in a spot where you have to back the bike up going uphill.

Safety chrome.... :-)

And get to know the members in your area.

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your first bike !

Your class is in June. Oh dear look at all the quality riding time your missing. :322:

One good thing if you havent rode before or in quite a long time is you shouldnt have any bad habits to forget. You will learn to look further down the road, watch cars on the side streets to make sure they are stopping and staying put. Watching the wheels has been a good indicator for me. The tour deluxe is a big bike to start with as has been mentioned but be careful and respectful and youll be alright. Good luck and enjoy yourself. And I still cant belive you have to wait until June. :whistling:

Welcome to the group! Congrats on the RSTD! Take it easy getting used to that big new bike and maybe you can drive around between now and the time you get your new baby and look for a level parking lot with no sand or gravel so you can practice getting the feel of cornering. Here is one part of the Ride like a Pro DVD on you tube that will help you out, There are several parts of the DVD on youyube try to watch them all or buy the video, there is a wealth of good info there. Also, there are several great sorurces of inof in your area, like Dano in INdy, Delagrassiass in Fort Wayne and lots more around that are willing to help you out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-jb6FIzx-A]Motorman's Ride like a pro Motorcycle Safety Training Video - YouTube[/ame]

brian

. You know, I have to say one thing, I was truly impressed at the feedback I heard on this board about the Yamaha brand, and especially the RSTD, it really solidified my choice in bikes.

Welcome aboard!!! and the feedback just might be a bit biased! LOL

Welcome aboard! That's a pretty big bike for a first one! You will enjoy it, a very comfortable ride indeed! But, if you can find a little smaller bike to practice on first that will help. If the bike decides to take a nap it is best to gently let it do so, it should only go over as far as the crash bars allow it. We've all done it!

Be observant at all times and expect every car (or bike) to do something stupid because many times they do! Always leave yourself an out. ALWAYS wear a helmet, and protective gear if you can. Good boots are also a must. Always make yourself seen by others. When stopped at a light do9n't get so close to the car in front that in an emergency you can't get out of the way. Remember you are a smaller vehicle and can't be seen as well.

Once again welcome aboard! you will find this bunch very knowledgeable and very friendly!

Best pieces of advice I got when learning to ride was :

• Look where you want to go. If you look where you don't want to go, the bike will go there!
  • try not to use the front brake as you come to full stop. Early in the braking..of course! But not once you get down to a crawl.
  • Make sure the front wheel is straight when you come to a stop.

# 2 & #3 helped me to keep the beast upright. It seemed if I ignored those two pieces of advice, the bike always wanted to fall over at a stop!

Enjoy the site! Lots of technical advice...and lots of "entertainment" also.

Where else can you get over 600 comments and 30,000 views on the excitement of building a garage!:doh:

Hello Everyone,

I'm a newbie here, and to biking for that matter, but I'm about to get my feet wet in a big way. Tomorrow I pick up my first bike. I'm getting into this kinda late in life (55), but looking forward to having some fun, and making some friends. I figure motorcycles would ultimately be a cheaper mid-life crisis than a girlfriend (lol). So tomorrow I p/up a 2006 Yamaha Royal Star Midnight Tour Deluxe, it's beautiful. Heck I'll be happy just sittin on it in the garage, if it runs....all the better. Looking forward to becoming a member here, and getting to know everyone, some of you have already been a help to me in making this selection. You know, I have to say one thing, I was truly impressed at the feedback I

heard on this board about the Yamaha brand, and especially the RSTD, it really solidified my choice in bikes.

Thanks Everyone & stay vertical !

:fingers-crossed-emo

Helli, Phil

Welcome to the forum.

When at the meet & eat in Rome Ga. on the 17th Leonard

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/member.php?u=11085

gave me the "Ride Like A Pro 3" video. I've been riding for 40 years and I learned some things on the video that I know I'll use in the future and probably as long as I'm riding a motorcycle.

Leonard told me that when I was done watching it to send it to whoever wanted to see it. I'd be glad to send it to you. Just send me your address and I will get it out to you. You can then send it to the next person who wants to see it...just post when you are done with it. I'm sure many other members will also want to see it.

Mark (mag1101)

2008 RSTD :)

Phil welcome on board. A great bike and a great forum. If you haven't yet look into the motorcycle safety course as others have recommended . It will be the best money ever spent. Learn the proper way to resurrect your bike if it ever goes down. ( butt on the seat push with your legs) . and continue to enjoy the friendship and good advice you'll get here. I joined 3 years ago and its been worth every minute .

Guest Rev'n Ahead

WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME! Congrats on purchasing your first bike - and at 55! Well done! You will fit in well here and, as you have already noted, you will be well received.

Remember, ALWAYS wear the safety gear! and there are NO DUMB questions on this forum! If you're wondering, ASK! Someone will always give you an answer.

ENJOY! :cool10:

Welcome to the site! Since you are new to riding I would suggest as soon as you pick it up you find the nearest large church parking lot (assuming it is not Sunday) and practice starts and stops, slow speed turns as if you were turning from an intersection and general operation of the bike. I would even recommend that you have an experienced friend ride it to a lot for you. It's scary to immediately jump into traffic with a bike of this size and no experience. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Dennis

Oopps! Looks like I was a day late with my advice....

Welcome aboard! This is a great place to hang out when not riding. Take the MSF class; it was the best thing I ever did. I had not ridden in 20 years. Taught me a lot. Remember that's a heavy bike aand when you come to a stop you need to keep you wheels straight! Ride safe!!

Congradulations on your choice of scooter. Glad to have you with us. If this is your first scooter and you haven't taken a Motorcyle Saftey Course it would be a big benifit for you to take a MSC. It's even good for a seasoned rider to take this course. We sometimes pick up some bad habits that need correcting.

C.R.

+1 on that! The TD is a great bike, but it is heavy and will be a handful 'till you learn to ride it. Go for the MSF course first, then practice (A BUNCH) on back roads and empty parking lots. Be sure to stay off the front brake at low (walking) speeds!! Good luck, ride safe and enjoy!!