IGNORED

Pin missing from shift segment

Hello everyone, i'm happy to join the family. Now on to my problem. About a month ago I came across an ad on craigslist for an 84 yamaha 1200 in pieces for $600. I immediately answered the ad, and to my surprise I found a Venture. I negotiated it to $500 and brought it home. I assembled it and got it running right, which was a job in itself as it had been sitting for 5 years(ethanol sucks!!!). I went out for my first ride on it Friday and it was great. After about 75 miles I put it back into the garage for the night. Saturday afternoon I fired it up and headed out again. After about 15 miles it started shifting funny, stuck in gear unless slowing,etc. It then stayed in first gear and would not shift up. 15 miles home in first gear plus some seafoam really helped my carbs.:bluesbrother: Thanks to a post from pegscraper I knew exactly what to look for. I pulled the clutch to find a bent tab on the shift drum and a missing pin. I will run to the local bike shop and grab the parts to throw it back together this week. The only problem is the missing pin, it's nowhere to be found. Probably in the bottom of the crankcase. So how should I go about getting it out? After running it 15 miles all through the rpm range getting the bike home i'm thinking the pin could probably spend the rest of its days in there harmlessly. I would love to ride this thing through the summer and tear it down in the fall as it has the normal second gear issue that the first gens are known for anyway. What do you guys suggest.

You can still order the pins from a Yamaha supplier. BUT what some of us have done is replace the whole unit from one out of a later model V-Max. It is a cast unit instead of pressed and the tabs will never bend out again. When I did it I ordered one from a 2002 V-Max.. The only real difficulty was getting the center screw out of it. Had to use heat and an impact screw driver to get it loose. It is in with loctite.

The original pin is part number 93603-10049-00 and you may be able to get it from partshark.. as well..

How about draining the oil and dropping the bottom of the pan. That should get you access to a lot of the bottom end. If your lucky it may be already laying in the pan. (2nd Gen at least)

BTW: I am located in North Branch, kind of close to you.

Edited by Bubber

Condor, it still has pins (that are shorter than what's in there now) but they are held in place behind a solid machined piece instead of bent sheet metal tabs. Once installed, they won't fall out.

As for that missing pin, change the oil. When mine went, I found my missing pin stuck to the magnet on the drain plug. Where the pin is located, it can't really get into the gears unless you turn the bike upside down. The only opening accessable that the shifter pins can fall into drains right into the oil pan. The oil pump strainer will keep the pin out of the rest of the engine. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

-Andrew

Hey Ray,

FYI...those pins are just solid 4 x 20 millimeter dowel pins. I got a similar deal as you did...got the bike for $450 cuz the guy thought the trany was pooched. Cost me 50 cents to fix!! Now I'm on to other cosmetic and upgrade type repairs.

Good luck!