IGNORED

My upper wind wings

I have an '86 scoot and this year I decided to make some wind deflectors to protect my hands better and hopefully widen the air bubble a bit too. They turned out well so I thought I'd share them with you all.

After a few nights in the shop tinkering I came up with a design that looks good, does not require you to drill holes to mount and works great as well. Basically it is very straight forward, I used the existing body mount locations to mount the wings.

The lower support is from a metal clip board (thin and stiff) and the heads of the bolts fit in the recesses of the faring covers.

The upper mount is a 1/8 x 3/4 aluminum that I put in a vice and twisted it. This turns out to be the trickiest piece to fit, but well worth the effort.

Mike

They do work great. It really did widen the air bubble and my kids said that it made it less windy for them too. I wish I had done this a few years ago.

I used 2 different methods to bend the Lexan. For the one by the radio I used a torch to heat it up and bend it. This worked but it bubbled and distorted the plexi in the bend area.

For the other one I cold formed it using a metal brake I bought from Harbor freight (a cheap on I've had my eyes on for some time). This worked much better and produced a crisper result. It is important to note that you can only cold bend for Lexan brand plexiglass.

Edited by justfun1
missed word

• 2 weeks later...