IGNORED

new garmin ready to go!

bought a cabin in northern michigan. going there on april 1st, and ready to ride the back roads and up to mackinaw! bought this garmin factory refurbished with 2 year warranty, case, and screen protector for 159.00. its model 1490lmt. installed a West Marine 12v accesory plug into #6 of skydocs fuse kit. works perfect! now i must think of a more permanent mounting solution. but, for the meantime, im going to use 550 cord as a lanyard....just in case.

no matter how well you stick the suction mount...it will come off when you least expect it....then the cord will pull out of the back.......then you grab the mount and the gps pops off the ball socket......all while riding the bike in traffic...............mine never fell off my truck's windshield either......

there is a lot more vibration on the bike than a car/truck.....our windshield's are plastic ,so there is more flex....and the surface is curved, or mostly curved, hardly any exactly flat spots.........get yourself the dedicated mount....

I use the RAM RAM-B-149ZU (RAM Handlebar Rail Mount with Zinc Coated U-Bolt Base). It clamps onto the handlebars, rather than the reservoirs. One on the left fits the GPS, the one on the right fits the SPOT tracker. On long trips, I'm planning on swapping out the GPS for a cup holder, and the GPS will go into my tank bag for anti-vibration and security purposes. Or maybe the SPOT will. Not sure. But with the RAM system, it is interchangeable.

Dave

I use the RAM RAM-B-149ZU (RAM Handlebar Rail Mount with Zinc Coated U-Bolt Base). It clamps onto the handlebars, rather than the reservoirs. One on the left fits the GPS, the one on the right fits the SPOT tracker. On long trips, I'm planning on swapping out the GPS for a cup holder, and the GPS will go into my tank bag for anti-vibration and security purposes. Or maybe the SPOT will. Not sure. But with the RAM system, it is interchangeable.

Dave

But aren't your handlebars different than those on a 1st Gen Venture? You have the tubular bars, right?

Joe

This is what I ordered from ebay:

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330613479010]Item Title:149Z-GA35: RAM motorcyle Mount for Garmin Nuvi 1450 1450T 1450LMT 1490T 1490LMT- opens in a new window or tab[/ame]

Item Id:330613479010 - Price: US $32.89

Came with the mount to the handle bars the ball mount to the back of the GPS holder and the GPS holder itself. So it was complete.

I am happy with it.

its a suction mount. ive used it in my truck with no issues at all. never once fell down. its a garmin mount.

Good luck with that suction cup. I tried mounting the Garmin on my 1stGen using the cup and it came loose a couple of times while moving at freeway speeds. When in the truck I never had a problem. I think it's the viabration...??

Good luck with that suction cup. I tried mounting the Garmin on my 1stGen using the cup and it came loose a couple of times while moving at freeway speeds. When in the truck I never had a problem. I think it's the viabration...??

That and the fact that those things do not form a perfect seal, just a very good one. Over time, enough air gets in to loosen the grip.

That would likely happen more quickly on acrylic than on glass.

If the suction cup is going to be a permanent fixture, some silicone behind it would bond it to the screen, and you could still get it off if you need to.