I have recently aquired a 2004 RSMV with about 20K, and have been following the forums here with great interest.

I am upgrading from a Honda shadow and this is my first bike with shaft drive so I'm not sure if this is normal...

I have noticed what seems to be an excessive amount of drivetrain "slop" or backlash, i guess. It is very noticable in the lower gears and makes transitioning from accel to decel very jerky. I'm also hearing a distinct banging when shifting. Actually two bangs, the first when I shift and the second when I release the clutch. I can also duplicate the bang by releasing the clutch quickly from a stop.

I have read the manual and based on the location of the noise, I'm guessing either the ujoint or middle gear is the culprit. I know that the backlash in the gears can be measured and shimmed, but requires disassembly.

I was wondering if this is a common problem, and if anyone has any experience with this issue? Can someone give me an idea of how much play is "normal"? For example, if I were to put it on the center stand, put it in gear and measure the total driveline slop based on how much I can turn the rear wheel, how much movement at the rear wheel would be considered excessive?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Jon

Comming off a belt drive this time around I am having difficulty adjusting to the "quirks" of shaft drive again. I seem to be having trouble transitioning in the lower gears also say to 1-2 to 2-3 area. Slower speeds and corners. Some of the slacking is just going to be you getting use to the clutch "range" of were it picks up and lets off. It seems like more than my belt was on my 900 Kawai, backlash wise but I dont feel anything is wrong. Just me getting use to the different drive system. I suspect you are in the same place. I'm sure someone will have a better more exact answer.

Middle gear and final drive lash problems will groan like an old dump truck on a hill.

What you're describing sounds more like a U-joint to me.

Somethings not right though. Should feel way tighter than a chain drive.