IGNORED

Some guy tried to Scam Me

Pam

I threw an add out ther offering my 1st Gen for sale. $3000.00 I get an email from some guy who wants more pic's and says he had his ourn private shipper who will pick the bike up and and look after the TOD. Then I get a couple of text messages from hime 646-481-5977 looking for more details and offering more money that I am aasking. (first red flag) Tried calling him but it was just a messaging forward thing. Then he issisted on paying with pay pal and provides a link to pay pal. He also provides a phone number for his private shipper. I check the phone number for the shipper and it is a cell # out of southrn Alberta, but all I get is an answering machine ( flag 2) I do a reverse number look up on the buyer and get nothing but his area code is in New York (flag 3) Few emails later he is still insisting on pay pal and I should use the link he provided. Told him I didn't trust the pay pal thing because there were pit falls. Still he insistes on using it (Flag 3) Did some more checking through some work contatacts. Long story short this guy in my mind has a link running parralel to a legitamate pay pal site. When you go to his link you are giving him your banking or credit card info. Before your know it he has cleaned you out or maxed your card.

Last email to his was either Western Union or his private shipper could have cash in hand when he showed up to ge the bike. Haven't heard from him since.

Looks like this guy is trying to scam bike sales. It is to easy to just click the link he provided and he has you as soon as you put in your info.

Lets be care ful guys if it looks to good to be true is usually is

FWIW.

Lately when I place a Craigslist add I have been adding a line at the bottom.

"Scammers, don't waist yours or my time, I'm not stupid."

I now rarely get the scam offers to my adds, and If I do get one, I waste as much of their time as I possibly can.

Go HERE for lots of good reading on messing with scammers.

Years back there was a screen saver program that would just keep pinging the websites of scammers to totally fill there mailboxes with crap to make it hard to find the potential victims, or it would eat up all of their bandwidth so that victims would have a hard time logging in.

Get this, the scammers took the company to court and got them shut down because they were interfering with the scammers livelihood.

I sure wish I had a copy of that program.

Yes, absolutely a scam. If he wants to pay with PayPal then all he needs is your email. PERIOD.

Had the same thing happen when selling my Virago a few weeks ago...guy was very persistent and asked for my email address. Supposedly ships bikes overseas. Don't give them your email address either!

Got my Merc for sale. Got an e-mail offering more than I was asking (red flag). He insisted on using pay pal (red flag). He claimed his shipping company would pick it up.( red flag). When I refused he phoned me. He had got the info off Used Victoria. He had an unusual accent ( not British) but when I asked where he was calling from he told me England.(red flag). I got as much of his info as I could then turned it over to spoof@paypal.com. They said they would go after him.

If I am selling on craigslist I don't use the email and hide it. I put my cell phone number in (spell some of the numbers out to stop text spam) and never have an issue. In my opinion, if your a serious buyer, you will call because you have questions. Anyone not willing to pick up a phone and call, I don't need to do business with.

These guys have a program that grabs all the reply to sale@craigslistXYZ addys . Waisting your time with email IMO.

RSTDdog