IGNORED

Question on wind protection from a prospective Venture rider..

Jetfixer03

Hey all!

I'm a prospective Venture owner, I ride a V-Star 1100 now. The favorite big cruiser I've had before was a Valk Tourer....other than crappy gas mileage it was an awesome bike.

I've already picked up a lot of good info by lurking but I'm looking for some opinions on wind protection for the rider before I pull the trigger on the Venture I'm looking at...it's a long distance purchase and my g/f won't be able to go for a test ride.

My g/f likes to ride (she'd be history if she didn't!) but she's a bit of a wimp when it comes to the wind. I know, irritating, but if I keep her happy she'll ride more and I'll be a happy. She's only ridden my V* and an Ultra Glide that we've rented a few times. She loved the HD, but she says she gets murdered by the wind on the Yamaha....it's a silverado with the stock windshield. I really debated between a Road Star and the Venture...I do love a V-twin. I think I'll be happy with either. I think the Road Star would be very similar to the V-star on wind, although I'm sure I could tweek the windshield adjustment to get it better. However I think I've made up my mind to go with the Venture so we can do more long distance riding. She'll be more comfortable, and I have to admit, that cushy driver seat looks pretty inviting to me too.

Finally my question....anyone in a position to offer a comparison between the Ultra and the RSV as far as back-seater wind protection? Any opinions welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

How tall is your lady?

My wife is 5' 9" ... she was fine on the back of the '06 Venture but did notice a bit more wind buffeting than on the '87 Venture. Then I changed to a taller Clearview shield and the buffeting was almost gone.

We did do several test rides on an Ultra but never really enough to get a good handle on wind buffeting although when asked about it she commented that it didn't seem to be a bother.

Thanks for the replies so far. I was just reading some posts on the larger F4 windshield, so that looks like a good option if necessary.

What did we ever do before forums?!!

My passenger is 5'2" and we have put on the F4 windshield, in the stock Venture height (19" ??) and the wide option(+4") (even added the center vent for the hot summer days), and is provides good protection. I noticed the wind noise on the intercom has gone down with this set up.

Happy purchasing!

Ok, you guys have convinced me I'll fine. She's 5'6" BTW and we wear shorties. She said she was willing to go to a full face if she had to to be comfy, but it sounds like she's going be very happy.

You know how it is guys...if they're not happy they'll make sure WE aren't happy either!

Thanks again.

Don't know about the HD but we came off a v star 1100 to the venture and my wife luvs it. She said there's probably less air and we have a short wide shield. We were half or shorty helmets also. You let her ride on the back of a Venture and she won't want to ride anything else my wife luvs her seat and back rest and has even fell a sleep back there.

Good luck and Welcome glad you been doing some of your own research but don't be a lurker :stickpoke: Join right in.:080402gudl_prv:

Wind protection, that is the main thing I miss from my RSV. Wind protection on the Goldwing is not near as good.

Dennis

I agree. The RSV is the only bike I've ever owned that seemed to have "too much" wind protection in the summer (no air!). I wound up cutting down the stock shielf by 4" and it was great for us winter and summer. I'm 5'11", wife is 5'2". Enjoy your Venture!!

Wind protection, that is the main thing I miss from my RSV. Wind protection on the Goldwing is not near as good.

Dennis

Interesting comment Dennis...

Perhaps for yourself; however, my wife says the wind protection on the Wing is far better (for her) than it was on the Venture. Now, this could be due to her height. On the Wing she sits lower than on the RSV.

As for myself, I also find it better on the Wing... but marginably.

WE came off a 900 Vulcan with a memphis shades phat for awhile and later I changed it to a Bat Wing. The wife says wind is lots better on the RSV. And of course the seating is 200% better even though we had a mustang seat on the Kawai. More room for here to reposition during a ride if get that numb butt thing going a little. But probably not onthe bike-o-lounger

Dennis

I beg to differ. Donna says she has much better passenger protection on the wing (either 1500 or 1800).....and I know that I do too. Of course, my RSV had the Show Chrome shorty windshield on it so that may have been the difference.

I'm 6'2" and wife 5'7" my 08 venture has the stock windshield, on a calm day, wife has almost no disconfort from the air movement. In a light rain both of us stay dry at speeds above 60mph. In a down pour or moderate rain it's suit up time. According to the wife the RSV is a much more confortable ride and more protection from the elements than the Gold Wing did.

And see likes having a clearer view over my helment.