When i was shopping for this RSTD, met a guy that had his bike lowered and inch. AND had his seat lowered an inch. It was a stock seat. Looked just as thick as the oem. Looked like an OEM seat.

So, my question is: Is there an easy way to lower the seat about an inch? I'm getting the seat redone. Probably a Butler seat since he lives about 10 miles from me.

The seat Rick works is awesome.

How does one go about lowering the bike an inch?

lowering links for the rear and/or lower the front triple tree. Many threads on this. just do a search.

Lowering links for the rear require the rear brake caliper to be relocated. somehave fabricated their own. Kits are forsale.

Lowering the front seems to be easy based on the write-ups. Just loosen the triple tree and slide the forks up & re-tighten.

EDIT 3/21/12= After receiving a few emails stating that this post was not proper.... I am offering an apology for the comments here. I only meant good clean ribbing and in no way meant to offend, demean or otherwise make anyone's experience here anything but positive. I only offer that sitting at home with heavy allergies kept me from being out riding and therefore allowed me time to sit at the computer.

I choose to leave what was said hopefully so it will not get blown out of proportion by not seeing what was said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take it off the jack.........

Seriously, there are some kits out there to lower the back (and front). try a search of lowering links and see if you can find them. I am sure someone will chime in but Sorry, I had to be the first to give a Smart___ answer.:stirthepot::stirthepot:

EDIT - see, Randy was being a gentleman and answering it correctly for you already.

Edited by TDunc

Does lowering the entire bike affect the ride? My wife and I combined put quite a load on the bike (I comprise a substantial amount of that load) and want to make sure lowering it won't adversly affect the ride or the bike in general. Thoughts on that would be great.

Does lowering the entire bike affect the ride? My wife and I combined put quite a load on the bike (I comprise a substantial amount of that load) and want to make sure lowering it won't adversly affect the ride or the bike in general. Thoughts on that would be great.

The guy that had the bike we looked at said he and his wife rode fine on it. No issues with bottoming it out. I don't think it affects tire/fender space.

It DID affect the handling. Making it lower made it a little easier to ride in my opinion. But this bike was 2 inches lower with the bike lowering and the seat lowered an inch. I just want an inch taken off the seat. Don't want the whole bike lowered.

Yamaha dealer did the bike I looked at. Cost $1k for them to do it.

Lowering the front seems to be easy based on the write-ups. Just loosen the triple tree and slide the forks up & re-tighten.

Yea but this method only works on the Venture, not the RSTD due to the wide speedometer..

+1 on the RickButler seat mod !!!!

I have a lowered RSTD and a lowered RSV.

You lower the back of the RSTD exactly same as the RSV, most likely using the Baron's rear kit (which relocates the calliper to below the swing arm and has links).

This will lower the rear 1 1/2". I used the kit but had links fabricated that were half way between the stock and Baron's. So, I am down about 3/4"-1",, less pipe scrape.

Lowering the back alone may put your feet on the ground but hurts handling, increasing the rake. To make the bike handle natural or better, need to lower the front.

Look at postings here about lowering the front. Infact you have two in TX who were willing to help me,,, but I'm in SC.

On the RSV you can lower the front up to 1 1/2".

But on the RSTD you can only go 1/2" to max of 3/4"!!!

This is because the handlebars will hit the schrader valves on the top of the forks beyond 1/2". You can get another 1/4" when you have it apart by reversing the big washers in the tubes (and a little honing out of one).

When me and my mechanic friend first lowered the RSTD we went the full 1 1/2" and found out about the limit when we TRIED to put it back together.

So, my RSTD is lowered 3/4" front and back AND I LOVE THE RIDE!!!

I will add a link here if I can find the one where your TX friends have the know-how.

But, if you can lower a RSV, doing the RSTD is the same method but you don't have to deal with the fairing,,, so, yes easier,,,, but you can't get 1 1/2" on the RSTD front.

Mike G in SC

EDIT: hey, here is the link to my lowering thread,, and TX friends:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66844

Edited by Mike G in SC

WHOEVER thought your comment was rude or out of line needs to take more medication cause its not working to good. i thought you cleared it up on the next line but ya know some people would gripe if you hung them with a new rope. I'll kick back and wait for the messages to roll in. P.S. i have plenty of wine to go with that cheese. LOL this stands for LAUGH OUT LOUDLY!!

I have a lowered RSTD and a lowered RSV.

On the RSV you can lower the front up to 1 1/2".

But on the RSTD you can only go 1/2" to max of 3/4"!!!

This is because the handlebars will hit the schrader valves on the top of the forks beyond 1/2". You can get another 1/4" when you have it apart by reversing the big washers in the tubes (and a little honing out of one).

----

Mike G in SC

EDIT: hey, here is the link to my lowering thread,, and TX friends:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66844

Ah yes thats right Mike.. you have done the RSTD in similar method.. I may need to try that one day since I haven't 'forked' out the big bucks to lower the front with a progressive kit.